The primary purpose of this position is to support the Director of Programs at the Clinton Foundation’s headquarters in New York. This person will be an important link with the other initiatives and service departments at the Clinton Foundation in the USA. He/she will be an important asset to the team, with an understanding of CDI’s work in the agriculture sector in Africa. The incumbent will, in coordination with the Director of Programs, support the ongoing growth and development of the Initiative, along with its operational and programmatic sustainability and impact.
1. Program Support
- Identify and present recommendations to CDI leadership for external partners—large multinational corporations, regional and local private companies, multilateral organizations, government ministries, and other NGOs —for collaboration and partnership to advance CDI’s programs, with a focus on increasing market access and opportunity for beneficiaries (i.e. smallholder farmers);
- Analyze and provide recommendations for the improvement of programs or systems to CDI leadership based on business conditions, commodity markets, government policy, environmental sustainability, trends in social impact investing, and other developmental topics; research and synthesis of relevant material from the not-for-profit and NGO sector;
- Stay up to date on newest technology, solutions, innovations for farmers / agricultural business in Eastern and Southern Africa to summarize and inform CDI staff;
- Create weekly update and news clips relevant to CDI’s work;
- Manage and maintain donor / grants database and identify leads for funding applications;
- Identify and recommend potential speaking engagements for CDI staff to amplify the work;
- Review for accuracy the materials and data coming from the country teams and help synthesize information into an accessible format for internal and external use.
- Create and maintain schedules of activities, assignments, expected outcomes and deliverables necessary for the timely and efficient execution of work within the initiative;
- Maintain and update various CDI online accounts;
- Support CDI staff through the Director of Programs, with administration, organizing travel and managing meetings;
- Coordinate support between the IT department and the CDI countries.
3. Intra-Foundation Support
- In coordination with the Director of Programs and the Marketing and Communication teams, propose, draft and pitch ideas/stories to help promote CDI to donors and the public;
- Identify opportunities for collaboration and joint-funding with other initiatives at the Foundation;
- In coordination with the Metrics team, identify opportunities for partnerships and research that can be used by CDI with Universities in the USA and abroad.
- Other duties as assigned.
1. Education (Minimum Needed and Type of Degree Needed):
2. Work Experience (Minimum Needed):
- Minimum Required: Bachelor of Science degree in agriculture related field, minors in International Relations, business, or related field with outstanding record of academic performance
- Preferred: Master’s degree in a related field
3. Specialized Knowledge Needed for Performance of Job:
- Minimum Required: 3 years of work in competitive and/or analytically rigorous environment (NGO, social impact investing, CSR, government, with an Africa focus)
- Preferred: work experience in Africa in agriculture or related field
- Depth of knowledge and experience in one or more relevant areas: Africa, agriculture, climate change, social business, and economic development
4. Skills (e.g. Level of Judgment Required, Ability to Direct, Work Independently, Multi-Task, etc.):
- Drive and ability to work autonomously; manage own time and schedule, to push projects and initiatives forward;
- Ability to multitask and work across different countries, cultures and programs;
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced environment, takes initiative to devise solutions to problems or improve upon existing systems while maintaining a professional demeanor;
- Ability to troubleshoot problems, while also identifying issues which need to be escalated;
- Ability to analyze and succinctly present large bodies of research;
- Strong organizational skills, sound judgment and ability to prioritize;
- High level of diplomacy required with the ability to manage relationships in a positive manner, including working with senior team members to keep to timelines, tasks, etc.
5. Special Skills (Technical or Advanced)
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Excel, Word and PowerPoint;
- Knowledge of CRM, Dropbox, and SharePoint.
6. Other (Communication Skills, Mechanical Aptitude, Math Skills, Learning Skills, or Other Specific Skills Required):
- Strong writing, editing and presentation skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of internal and external stakeholders;
- Strong team-work and collaborative approach capacity; ability to work with colleagues based outside of the main office.
7. Additional Comments
- Ability to work in a varying schedule including nights, early mornings, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, and work on multiple time zones, as necessary.
- Ability to work remotely, given projects will be based in a number of different countries.
Physical and Other Requirements
- Office Environment: Constant computer work requiring repetitive motion, prolonged sitting and sustained visual/mental demands. Occasional lifting, bending, pulling, collating, and filing, some of which may be heavy (>15 lbs.) and require use of carts.
- Travel Environment: Occasional long-distance travel (sometimes to developing countries) which may require walking distances, lifting and carrying luggage and boxes (>25 lbs.) or prolonged periods of sitting in tight quarters.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
The Clinton Foundation maintains a strong policy of equal opportunity in employment. It is our objective to recruit, hire, and retain the most qualified individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic or status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. Our equal employment philosophy applies to all aspects of employment, including recruitment, compensation, benefits, training, promotions, transfers, job benefits, and terminations.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understand the scope of the position. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, or responsibilities associated with the positions.