Rosalind Franklin University’s Community Care Connection Mobile Screening and Education unit, and the Rosalind Franklin University Health Clinics (RFUHC), welcome applications for a full-time Family Practice Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner. The Family Practice Nurse Practitioner/Physician Assistant will work in our Community Care Connection Mobile Screening and Education unit as well as within a Family Practice Physician Team to create and implement a Patient Centered Medical Home practice operating in the Health Clinics in North Chicago and Vernon Hills.
RFUHC is a multi-specialty physician practice offering expert care in the fields of podiatry (foot and ankle care), reproductive medicine, behavioral health (psychology and psychiatry), family and internal medicine and travel medicine. We also provide medical and counseling services for the students of Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science.
RFUHC a subsidiary of Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science is home to four medical centers in Lake County, IL: the North Chicago Clinic at RFU, the Behavioral Health Center and the Reproductive Medicine Center in Vernon Hill, the Libertyville Primary Care Clinic and the Scholl Foot & Ankle Clinic in Libertyville. RFUHC combines compassionate care with state-of-the-art science to provide patients with the highest quality medical services. The physicians of RFUHC are innovators in their fields, offering patients access to the latest discoveries in primary care, podiatry, behavioral health and reproductive medicine.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
This position will require the health care provider to travel to Lake County site locations with the CCC throughout the year- approximately one to three days working with CCC. The CCC position may require one evening with a shift between 5-9pm and two weekend shifts per month (two 4 hours shifts- one Saturday with the CCC and one Saturday at the Clinic).
The Family Practice Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner will have a broad range of responsibilities including:
- Provide general primary care to patients in a sensitive, non-judgmental manner to persons of all ages, economic levels and cultural backgrounds.
- Prescribe and/or administer medications and treatments in accordance with professional standards.
- Observe, record, and report on patient’s condition and treatment plan, and implement evaluation and management (E&M) coding in the Athena Electronic Health Record system.
- Respond to/refers incoming patient treatment-related phone calls and instruct patient and family regarding medications and treatment instructions.
- Participate in Quality Assurance Activities as directed.
- Participate and provide guidance in clinical service as needed with the Healthy Families Clinic and/or Interprofessional Care Clinic.
- Provide wellness screenings in mobile unit and administer screenings in accordance with professional standards and practices, as well as Health Clinic policies and procedures.
- Oversight of students participating in screenings and educate students on best practices.
- Maintain Community Care Connection room with the necessary supplies and materials. Ensure cleanliness and sterility of room. Prepare lists of medical and surgical supplies needed. Prepare equipment, procedures, screenings and testing of patients.
- Observe, record, and report patient’s condition. Educate patient/family about procedures, medications, nutrition and maintenance of health and wellness. Provide follow-up in regards to patient screenings and outcomes.
- Screen patients for appropriate medical history/information.
- Maintain/review patient records, charts and other pertinent information and post tests and examination results to the patient’s chart.
- Utilize community health experience by working with the uninsured, underinsured, and underserved, and provide referrals to patients when appropriate.
- Work with community boards, resource centers and other community leaders to provide access to healthcare.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education & Experience
- Physician Assistant (PA) or Nurse Practitioner degree from an accredited school with 1-3 years of experience in a clinical environment and community health assessment and/or educational training.
- Current Illinois licensure.
- Legal ability to prescribe prescription pharmaceuticals.
- Legal ability to bill Medicare and Medicaid.
- BLS and ACLS Certification.
- Must complete background check clearance and drug screening.
Required Knowledge Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of primary and preventive care regulations and practices needed to implement a Family Practice based Patient Centered Medical Home.
- Knowledge of community health/public health standards and practices.
- Knowledge of common safety hazards and precautions to establish and maintain a safe work environment.
- Knowledge of sterile techniques and use of mobile health screening portable lab equipment.
- Demonstrated skill in identifying problems and recommending solutions (i.e. critical thinking).
- Demonstrated skill in preparing/maintaining records, writing reports and responding to correspondence via email.
- Demonstrated skill to multi-task and adapt to changes in patient volumes and acuity.
- Ability to maintain quality control standards.
- Ability to react calmly and effectively in emergency situations.
- Ability to communicate effectively and accurately.
- Ability to apply continuous quality improvement standards to the work process.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications.
- Ability to embrace diversity.
- Selected candidate must have the mental and physical capabilities to perform the essential functions of the position with or without accommodations.
- Position requires exposure to biohazards and diseases common to medical practice setting.
- Position requires standing, walking, bending and sitting for extended periods.
- Ability to handle stressful situations and respond accordingly.
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Working environment includes medical office, exam rooms and mobile health screening unit.
- Demonstrated use of an Electronic Health Record system.
- English/Spanish speaking.
Typical Physical Demands and Working Conditions
- Selected candidate must have the mental and physical capabilities to perform the essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodations.