Target is an iconic brand, a Fortune 50 company and one of America’s leading retailers.
Target as a tech company? Absolutely. We’re the behind-the-scenes powerhouse that fuels Target’s passion and commitment to cutting-edge innovation. We anchor every facet of one of the world’s best-loved retailers with a strong technology framework that relies on the latest tools and technologies—and the brightest people—to deliver incredible value to guests online and in stores. Target Technology Services is on a mission to offer the systems, tools and support that guests and team members need and deserve. Our high-performing teams balance independence with collaboration, and we pride ourselves on being versatile, agile and creative. We drive industry-leading technologies in support of every angle of the business, and help ensure that Target operates smoothly, securely and reliably from the inside out.
As a lead engineer, you serve as the technical anchor for the engineering team that supports a product. You create, own and are responsible for the application architecture that best serves the product in its functional and non-functional needs. You identify and drive architectural changes to accelerate feature development or improve the quality of service (or both). You have deep and broad engineering skills and are capable of standing up an architecture in its whole on your own, but you choose to influence a wider team by acting as a “force multiplier”.
Use your skills, experience and talents to be a part of groundbreaking thinking and visionary goals. As a Lead Engineer, you’ll take the lead as you…
Use your technology acumen to apply and maintain knowledge of current and emerging technologies within specialized area(s) of the technology domain. Evaluate new technologies and participates in decision-making, accounting for several factors such as viability within Target’s technical environment, maintainability, and cost of ownership. Initiate and execute research and proof-of-concept activities for new technologies. Lead or set strategy for testing and debugging at the platform or enterprise level. In complex and unstructured situations, serve as an expert resource to create and improve standards and best practices to ensure high-performance, scalable, repeatable, and secure deliverables. Lead the design, lifecycle management, and total cost of ownership of services. Provide the team with thought leadership to promote re-use and develop consistent, scalable patterns. Participate in planning services that have enterprise impact. Provide suggestions for handling routine and moderately complex technical problems, escalating issues when appropriate. Gather information, data, and input from a wide variety of sources; identify additional resources when appropriate, engage with appropriate stakeholders, and conduct in-depth analysis of information. Provide suggestions for handling routine and moderately complex technical problems, escalating issues when appropriate. Develop plans and schedules, estimate resource requirements, and define milestones and deliverables. Monitor workflow and risks; play a leadership role in mitigating risks and removing obstacles. Lead and participate in complex construction, automation, and implementation activities, ensuring successful implementation with architectural and operational requirements met. Establish new standards and best practices to monitor, test, automate, and maintain IT components or systems. Serve as an expert resource in disaster recovery and disaster recovery planning. Stay current with Target’s technical capabilities, infrastructure, and technical environment. Develop fully attributed data models, including logical, physical, and canonical. Influence data standards, policies, and procedures. Install, configure, and/or tune data management solutions with minimal guidance. Monitor data management solution(s) and identify optimization opportunities
Core responsibilities of this job are described within this job description. Job duties may change at any time due to business needs.
- 4 year degree or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of software development experience with at least one full cycle implementation
- Proficiency in C, C++
- Experience with IOT embedded prototype boards such as Arduino, Pi0, Pi3, Particle, Proton, etc. as required to implement initial hardware MVP’s.
- Experience with Bluetooth, WiFi, IFTTT and Zigbee communication protocols
- Excellent problem solving thought leadership, and communication skills
- Experience with ARM Cortex processors
- Active in technical communities and skilled at building internal and external relationships
- Extensive experience working in an agile environment (i.e. user stories, iterative development, etc.)
- Experience and strong advocacy in a guest focused UI/UX environment
- Experience in retail and/or mass-market, consumer-facing products & solutions
- Skilled in project/program management and team leadership
- Drives Embedded Systems Firmware development for multiple projects with minimal support
- Writes firmware for MVPs all the way to large scale production of IoT enabled platforms and products
- Works closely with engineers, partners, and leaders to understand business/strategy initiatives, product requirements, and performance expectations. Ensure development meets business and user needs
- Follow industry standard agile software design methodology for development and maintains appropriate technical documentation
- Stay current on latest industry trends, and use to drive innovation which quickly translates into relevant applications and solutions
- Demonstrates problem solving skills, and a proven record of delivering high quality product solutions
- Create appropriate technical approaches and drive scalable, guest-focused solutions
- Unit test code and create automated test scripts
- Ensure adherence to standards and best practices, create scalable, repeatable processes to ensure development meets business needs
- Provides input to create realistic project schedules and maintains deadlines
- Brand Manager – understands Target’s brands and how to deliver the experience through technology solutions