Please visit http://www.bartlettwest.com/careers to apply.
Position Title: Structural Engineering Specialist/Team Lead
Position Summary: This position reports to a Delivery Leader or Team Leader and is recognized as a technical specialist with an in-depth and advanced knowledge in a specific area(s) or discipline. Structural engineering position that designs, develops specifications, estimates and works with structural team members to complete projects in the public infrastructure and private industry markets across the country. Seals plans and specifications for projects. Team leader for structural design team preferred. This responsibility includes supervision of staff, development of team's skills and workload management for the projects and team member's schedules.
Position Status: Full time, exempt
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Acts as a technical specialist in a particular engineering area or discipline.
- Provides internal technical advice to project managers throughout the company for the purpose of preparing proposals and developing client presentations.
- Collaborates with a project manager with project planning including development of the project scope, concepts and strategies to be used, task organization, estimates of effort the identification of other required resources, and schedules necessary to complete the project. Collaborates with the development of cost and budget estimates for the project.
- Provides technical guidance to the project manager in developing an agreement for engineering services, including scope, fee structure, fee amount, schedule, and all other risk sharing/management provisions related to the engineering manager’s portion of the project.
- Directs, manages and participates in the production of the project deliverables. Performs or participates in some or all of the following:
- Preliminary studies, plans and cost estimates
- Definition of and oversight of design surveys
- Designs and plan production
- Conducting project status/review meetings
- Specification and contract document development and production
- Bidding and contract award and construction administration oversight
- Monitors and maintains quality on all facets of the project deliverable
- Provides input to the project manager and/or others regarding the monthly project accounting process, including review of time and expense charges to projects.
- In coordination with the project manager, communicates openly and frequently with clients during the course of a project to ensure that all issues are addressed to the client’s satisfaction.
- Participates in on-going client maintenance activities, as appropriate.
- Reviews personal and project staff labor utilization relative to assigned project teams on a regular basis as directed.
- In coordination with the project manager, oversees and directs the assignments of engineers and technicians assigned to a project.
- Develops and fosters an open environment encouraging communication among team members assigned to a project. Provides constructive performance feedback to project team members and coaches to improve performance.
- Provides performance information on all project team members to the delivery leader, team leader, or project manager.
- Stays abreast of new engineering trends, techniques, strategies, philosophies and methods. Participates in professional organization(s) in the manager’s area of expertise and/or client focus. Maintains professional licensure in the states required by the company.
- Focused on project delivery, mentoring, and technical leadership.
- Will have a substantial role in developing and implementing scope/fee/schedule/quality plan for projects. Typically teamed up with PM II who is ultimately responsible for the projects.
- Mentors team members.
- May analyze a specific issue on PM’s project to recommend solutions that are efficient and cost effective.
- Meets with vendors of equipment on a technical basis with project managers and project teams as directed.
- May present at conferences and tradeshows as directed.
- May participate in the company’s standard specification process as directed.
- May serve as the people manager/HR supervisor for a team.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Professional Engineering License
- Demonstrates creativity, foresight, and judgment in planning, organizing and problem analysis and resolution.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills to maintain effective internal and external relationships.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience
- College degree in civil, structural, mechanical or electrical as appropriate or equivalent in combined education and experience.
- Position may travel for client meetings, to other Bartlett & West locations, various business/organization meetings and/or industry conferences. Minimum travel is up to 20% of the time. Valid driver’s license with good driving record required.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a listing of all functions and responsibilities that are required of this position. Employee owners are expected to take on additional responsibilities as requested.
Bartlett & West partners with businesses and communities to build smarter, stronger, more connected infrastructure. From railroad GIS to industrial parks and city planning, we provide innovative technology and engineering solutions to clients worldwide. With deep industry knowledge and a passion for creative problem solving, we engineer better tomorrows.
Bartlett & West is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Please visit http://www.bartlettwest.com/careers to apply.
Job Type: Full-time
- Structural Engineering: 8 years (Required)