Manages and coordinates the activities and operations of the Workers’ Compensation claims program for U.S. Xpress and all subsidiaries. Evaluates claim value and makes recommendations whether to pay or deny workers’ compensation claims. Attempts to reduce insurance costs and losses. May develop or recommend policies or procedures in workers’ compensation claim handling.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manages activities of the workers’ compensation department to review compensability of claims and the extent of company liability.
- Administers the workers’ compensation program for U.S. Xpress and all subsidiaries.
- Assists the Claims Director with the preparation of the workers’ compensation program budget.
- Communicates claims cost and reserve information to financial auditors as necessary.
- Advises departments and management about the status of claims and loss experience trends.
- Monitors actual time missed from work due to work related injuries and illnesses and verifies accuracy of information to meet OSHA record-keeping requirements.
- Develops and maintains close communication with medical providers of services for injured employees and serves as the liaison between medical providers, injured employees and department supervisors.
- Reviews and makes recommendations on claim settlements proposed by the insurance carrier.
- Develops, implements and monitors workers’ compensation claims reporting forms, procedures and activities.
- Works with the Claims Director to provide feedback on insurance carrier claims adjusting services.
- Manages administration of the Return to Work program.
- Develops and provides or arranges training programs relating to workers’ compensation laws, policies and loss control.
- Examines First Report of Injury and other records to determine the responsible party for the claim.
- Interviews, telephones or corresponds with claimant, witnesses, medical providers, attorneys, and insurance carrier.
- Coordinates responses to interrogatories, document requests, subpoenas inquiries regarding workers’ compensation claim status and other requests relating to claims.
- Reviews and audits claim files to ensure they have been properly handled.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration or related major preferred; or equivalent experience required. Equivalent years of experience are defined as one year of professional experience for each year of college requested.
- Minimum 7 years of experience in Workers’ Compensation or related field (e.g. risk, insurance, etc.) preferably in the Trucking industry.
- Thorough knowledge of multi-state and federal laws related to workers’ compensation; in addition to OSHA rules & regulations.
- Professional designation preferred (e.g. AIC, ARM, CPCU, CWCP, or other related claims designations).
- Strong communication and negotiation/consulting Skills
- Strong supervision skills
- Strong reasoning and analytical skills
Supervisory Responsibility: 3-5
Work Environment: this job operates in a normal professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers and fax machines, and filing cabinets.
Physical Requirements: while performing the duties of this job the employee must have the ability to communicate or exchange information; also, the employee is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as viewing a computer, expansive reading, or preparing and analyzing data, reports and figures
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off