This position supports the work of the Y, a leading nonprofit, charitable organization committed to strengthening community through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility. The Lifeguard creates a safe and positive atmosphere that welcomes and respects all individuals while promoting and maintaining safe swimming conditions in the pool, one the deck and surrounding areas in accordance with YMCA policies and procedures.
Our mission and core values are brought to life by our culture. In the Y, we strive to live our cause of strengthening communities with purpose and intentionality every day. We are welcoming: we are open to all. We are a place where you can belong and become. We are genuine: we value you and embrace your individuality. We are hopeful: we believe in you and your potential to become a catalyst in the world. We are nurturing: we support you in your journey to develop your full potential. We are determined: above all else, we are on a relentless quest to make our community stronger beginning with you.
- Maintains active surveillance of the pool area.
- Knows and reviews all emergency procedures and responds to emergency situations immediately in accordance with YMCA policies, procedures, and the “safe-in-six” model; completes related reports as required.
- Maintains effective and positive relationships with the members, participants, and other staff.
- Knows, understands, and consistently applies safety rules, policies, and guidelines for the pool and aquatic area.
- Remains calm and objective when under pressure or when challenged by others.
- Maintains accurate records as required by the YMCA and/or the state health department code.
- Performs equipment checks and ensures appropriate equipment is available as needed.
- Checks the pool for hazardous conditions when arriving.
- Performs chemical testing when not guarding, as required, and takes appropriate action.
- Attends all staff meetings and in-service training.
- Responsible for appropriate child-adult ratios and group sizes.
- Assists in maintaining cleanliness of deck and locker rooms.
- Responsible for opening and closing procedures and securing door.
- Report to duty 10 minutes before shift and secure a substitute if necessary and with proper notification.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Critical Thinking & Decision Making
- Emotional Maturity
- Minimum age of 15 years old.
- Required Certifications: YMCA approved basic life saving to include CPR, AED, First Aid, and Emergency Oxygen administration
- Current YMCA Lifeguard Certification or American Red Cross Lifeguard Certification Accepted.
- Child abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date
- Ability to maintain certification-level physical and mental readiness
- Must demonstrate lifeguard skills in accordance with YMCA standards
WORK ENVIRONMENT & PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work is performed in an indoor or outdoor aquatic environment.
- Have the ability to physically perform all skills required of a lifeguard.
- Hear noises and distress signals in the aquatic environment, including in the water and anywhere around the zone of responsibility.
- Remain alert with no lapses of consciousness.
- Visual acuity is required to see and observe all sections of an assigned zone or area of responsibility. Must be able to see and recognize aquatic distress above and below the water surface.
- Ability to respond properly to a medical emergency is necessary.
- Ability to sit and stand for long periods of time is required, as well as the ability to hold breath under water when necessary.
- Job requires high levels of alertness and concentration.