The Samuel Waxman Cancer Research Foundation seeks a part-time digital media and communications intern with strong writing and digital media skills to support its marketing and social media efforts for the spring semester(s). The successful candidate will be available between 10 and 15 hours per week and be able to work at the foundation's midtown NYC office. S/he will make a meaningful contribution to our mission to eradicate cancer in a meaningful way and can use this learning experience to further their career goals in the nonprofit or communications fields. The position offers a modest semester-based stipend OR offers college credit.
The Samuel Waxman Cancer Research Foundation is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization dedicated to curing and preventing cancer. The Foundation is a pioneer in cancer research and its mission is to eradicate cancer by funding cutting-edge research that identifies and corrects abnormal gene function that causes cancer. This research is the basis for the development of minimally toxic treatments for patients. Through the Foundation's collaborative group of world-class scientists, the Institute Without Walls, investigators share information and tools to speed the pace of cancer research. Since its inception in 1976, the Samuel Waxman Cancer Research Foundation has awarded approximately $100 million to support the work of more than 200 researchers across the globe. For more information, visit: www.waxmancancer.org.
- Reporting to the Director of Marketing & Communications, the social media intern's responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Execute content updates on the website’s WordPress CMS including writing and editing copy, creating graphics and managing the image database.
- Develop content ideas for monthly social media calendar and execute daily messaging on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Draft, design and schedule email campaigns using email templates
- Use Hootsuite or a similar management platform to write, design and schedule posts.
- Monitor new social media developments to keep the Foundation's efforts current and identify opportunities to expose its mission to new supporters.
- Assist with updating and creating new content on the Foundation’s website using WordPress.
- Help Director to run monthly reports on social media and website activity.
- Conduct research on other foundations to determine current trends and best practices in social media campaigns, particularly in the cancer research space.
- Assist with the production of print marketing materials
- Develop and execute messaging for advocacy campaigns about cancer research.
- Curate cancer research news to share on SWCRF social feeds.
- Ability to work at the foundation’s midtown office.
- Current enrollment as an undergraduate or graduate student
- Interest in nonprofit work, digital communications, marketing and fundraising
- Knowledge of WordPress or other open-source CMS applications
- Experience executing social media campaigns on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter; knowledge of additional platforms is a plus
- Strong Internet research skills
- Good writing skills
- Superior attention to detail
- Knowledge of healthcare and/or cancer research is a plus
- Available to contribute 10-15 hours a week to the assignment
- Computer skills: MAC OS, Word, Excel, Basic graphic design, Outlook, Social Media Platforms
To apply, send a brief cover letter describing your interest in the role and organization, your education level and school, and your availability for the fall semester (days and hours) including start and end dates to Jesse Dean, Director of Marketing and Communications.
Job Type: Internship
- relevant: 1 year (Preferred)
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented -- quality and precision-focused