The Office Assistant is a part-time, paraprofessional staff member of the Department of Housing and Residential Life at Florida International University. The Office Assistant works closely with and is directly responsible to his/her immediate supervisor, a member of the Residential Life central staff (Office Coordinator, Assistant Director, Associate Director).
The Office Assistant is expected to perform a variety of duties that contribute to the overall operation of the Residential Life Office. The Office Assistant is expected to:
- Be a representative of the Department and University to students, staff, and guests.
- Organize and keep an inventory of supplies.
- Contact residents to give reminders of meetings that they have with a Residential Life staff member.
- Maintain office equipment and submit repair requests as necessary.
- Assist with record keeping by maintaining regular and electronic files related to personnel and/or student information.
- Enforce Housing & University policies, rules and regulations and provide documentation of policy violations to a supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned and deemed necessary by the Residential Life central staff.
- Be an enrolled graduate student at any institution or have a bachelor’s degree
- Able to work during business hours, Monday through Friday 1:00pm to 5:30pm
- Must meet all eligibility requirements for employment, as stipulated by Florida International University
- Must abide by all Housing & University rules and regulations
Monday through Friday, 1:00PM to 5:30PM
25 hours per week
Hours vary based on the Office Assistant’s availability, but are not to exceed twenty-five hours per week (twenty hours per week if enrolled in a graduate program at FIU).
The Office Assistant will receive a biweekly paycheck for his/her hours worked during the applicable pay period.
Criminal Background Check
As a temporary employee, you will not be eligible to participate in all employee benefit programs (e.g., paid leave, retirement, or tuition reimbursement).
Under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA), a temporary employee who works on average 30 hours or more per week may be eligible to enroll in health care benefits. As a temporary employee, you are also eligible to enroll in supplemental plans (e.g. dental, vision,) which requires full payment on your part.
Upon completing an assignment, employees may apply for a position on FIU Careers.