Operates Tamper in a safe manner to perform maintenance and railroad construction activities in the repair and rebuilding of track structure.
Primary/Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Operates tamping machines to compact earth fills, foundation forms, and finished road materials, according to grade specifications.
- Replaces materials such as rail, ties, switch components, crossing planks, and other track materials.
- Inspects and maintains trucks and attached apparatuses such as boom, hi-rail gear, tools, etc.
- Operates equipment in a safe and efficient manner in accordance with regulations, policies and procedures.
- Performs equipment safety and maintenance checks, making emergency adjustments as necessary.
- Takes actions to avoid potential hazards and obstructions, such as utility lines, other equipment, other workers, and falling objects.
- Studies instructions, plans, and diagrams to establish work requirements.
General/Other Responsibilities and Duties
- Drives machines onto truck trailers, and drive trucks to transport machines and material to and from job sites.
- Keeps records of material and equipment usage and problems encountered.
- A minimum of 3 years experience operating HARSCO 6700 tamper in a railroad construction environment.
- A valid Commercial Driver’s License and a satisfactory Motor Vehicle Driving Record.
- Experience using hand tools, power tools and hydraulic equipment.
- Knowledge of and ability to adhere to safety requirements and procedures.
- Ability to read and understand construction specifications.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Works at railroad construction sites.
- Uses hands to handle and control materials, tools and vehicle controls.
- Sits for long periods of time in a closed vehicle.
- Uses repetitive motions.
- Uses close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception.
- Moves or lifts heavy equipment and objects up to 50 pounds.
- Uses eye-hand-foot coordination.
- Exposed to moving mechanical parts.
- Exposed to harsh weather conditions including very hot and very cold weather.
- Exposed to loud noise.
This job description is not intended to represent a complete, comprehensive list of all duties and responsibilities that may be required in this position. There may be unplanned activities and other duties as assigned. Equal Opportunity Employer (Minorities/Females/ Veterans/Disabled).