Do you like helping U.S. Intelligence Community agencies implement innovative cloud computing solutions and solve technical problems? Would you like to do this using the latest cloud computing technologies? Do you have a knack for helping these groups understand application architectures and integration approaches, and the consultative and leadership skills to launch a project on a trajectory to success?
You are interested in being part of a high-bar team with global responsibility for network automation software used across all of Amazon’s businesses. You are interested in solving difficult software problems at massive scale. You want to talk to customers directly and design solutions that solve their problems through innovation and automation. You understand how to build software in a continuous integration and continuous deployment environment. You are interested in working and owning your own code from requirements to launch and for supporting it in the field. You enjoy solving complex problems and working in a fast-paced, flexible, collaborative team environment.
At Amazon scale, Network Engineers rely on an ever increasing number of tools to manage thousands of network devices that support AWS services. Our Systems Team manages the hundreds of tools/services and components that the Network Engineers rely on to keep the network operational. This includes systems that track loss and incident correlation, scaling and building of new and existing network devices, and a full suite of monitoring tools. Many of these tools provided integrations with one another to give a broad to in depth view of the status of the network and aid in troubleshooting.
Calmly and quickly diagnose and fix critical systems failures in high pressure situations?
Manage and grow innovative, production-quality tools to solve real operational problems, in Python, Perl, Ruby, Shell, Java, etc.?
Investigate complicated technical issues scientifically and thoroughly, and assist in fixing them so they don't come back?
Understand how a modern, cloud-hosted application stack works from top to bottom?
Know how to provide technical solutions to real business problems in a global organization?
If you’re a customer-focused Software Development Engineer who would like to contribute to a critical success story, we would love to hear from you! Over a million customers rely on Amazon Web Services (AWS) network for building and running their applications and businesses. Our customers success depends on our world-class network infrastructure, and our network depends on our systems team!
Must be able to work in a 24x7 team on call rotation, with ability to drive into workplace for critical events/needs.
The ability to sit in front of computer during scheduled work hours with appropriate breaks while maintaining a high level of alertness and attention to detail.
Travel to data center/systems sites and Amazon/customer offices as needed.
Experience dealing with customers during problem resolution and operating efficiently under pressure.
This position requires that the candidate selected be a U.S. citizen and must currently possess an active Top Secret security clearance. The position further requires that, after start, the selected candidate obtain and maintain an active TS/SCI security clearance with polygraph and satisfy other security related requirements.
Position may be located in either Herndon, VA 20170 or Seattle, WA 98101. Relocation assistance would be offered (pending qualification guidelines).
Current, active US Government Security Clearance at the Top Secret level or above.
· 2+ years of non-internship professional software development experience
· Programming experience with at least one modern language such as Java, C++, or C# including object-oriented design
· 1+ years of experience contributing to the architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems.
· A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent
· 3+ years of Software Development experience
· Strong coding skills and experience with Object-Oriented development
· Experience building scalable distributed systems
· Great written/verbal communication skills and teamwork.
· Ability to drive progress in the absence of top level requirements
· Ability to drive a subsystem or product to completion
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
· Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
· Excellent software development skills, preferably in Python or Perl with Java, C/C++, Ruby acceptable as a substitute.
· Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development team with continuous integration (CI), continuous deployment and test driven development (TDD).
· Excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills with the ability to apply design patterns to common software problems that are maintainable at scale.
· Knowledge of and previous development experience in a Linux or UNIX environment with a good understanding of networking concepts.
· A solid grounding in Computer Science fundamentals, data structures, algorithms and deftness at object-oriented design and systems architecture.
· Familiarity with low level Linux internals
· Familiarity with SOA design principles include orchestration and RESTful Interface definition.
· Understanding of networking
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation / Age.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $111,886.00 - $250,000.00 per year
- Architecture: 1 year (Required)
- Object-Oriented development : 5 years (Preferred)
- Software Engineering: 4 years (Required)
Security Clearance Required:
This Job Is:
- A job for which military experienced candidates are encouraged to apply
- Waiting period may apply
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Temporarily due to COVID-19