Habitat for Humanity of Greater Newburgh partners with families to create strength, stability and self-reliance through homeownership. It builds between 6-10 homes a year in the City of Newburgh and was named an Affiliate of Distinction in 2017, one of 23 affiliates across the nation and the only one in the northeast. Our 19-year-old affiliate has dedicated 94 homes to hard-working families in Newburgh.
The Fund Development Manager is a top level position in Habitat Newburgh and reports directly to the Executive Director. This is a full-time position responsible for planning and managing all aspects of the affiliate’s development revenue generation. As a fundraising generalist, this staff person focuses on major gift cultivation, house sponsorship, donor stewardship, annual fund development, annual fundraising breakfast, annual corporate sponsorship, grant writing, and planned giving. The Fund Development Manager maintains and administers the fund development plan and monitors the donor database.
- Identify, research, and cultivate prospective donors to ensure a diversified funding base
- Expand and manage the affiliate’s donor giving society
- Develop, implement, and maintain the donor recognition program to ensure appropriate acknowledgment of gifts and strong relationships with current and potential donors
- Execute follow-up face-to-face meetings, calling, mailing, and other activities related to building strong donor relationships and enhancing donor confidence in the organization
- Create, maintain, and implement a cultivation tracking system including cultivation tool worksheets
- Serve as a primary contact for donors
- Implement major gift program including identifying prospects and crafting individual, highly personalized cultivation plans.
- Lead Major Gifts Work Group
- Build and manage House Sponsorship program and Group Team Build days.
- Lead House Sponsorship Committees
- Plan and implement annual fund appeals
- Research funding priorities, guidelines, and application procedures for corporate, government, and foundation donors
- Write grant proposals, maintain grant records, submit grant reports and provide appropriate acknowledgment to donors
- Expand utilization of on-line fundraising efforts
- Promote and administer a planned giving program
- Manage special campaigns including but not limited to, capital campaigns
- Support the Executive Director, Board Members, and key volunteers in meeting with donors and asking for financial support
- Work in cooperation with the ReStore for donation requests
- Manage the Building Houses, Building Hope Donors Breakfast
- Cultivate and manage home sponsorship programs
- Support the hosting of donor cultivation events
Public Relations and Marketing
- Reach out to the general public and donors with the message about Habitat Newburgh’s mission
- Work with Communications & Marketing Coordinator to generate print and web-based publicity pieces and print/electronic asks as needed
- Coordinate production of affiliate information pieces, direct donor appeal pieces and other affiliate publicity as needed
- Work collaboratively with the Executive Director to establish annual key performance indicators.
- Guide Fund Development Committee
- Serve as staff liaison to Faith Relations Committee
- Oversee the work of the Donor Operations Assistant and ensure donor database is maintained and updated
- Create annual Resource Development Plan, including calendar and action plans
- Prepare and analyze bi-monthly development reports and reconcile data with Finance Manager
- Formulate and manage the budget for development activities
- Develop and maintain working knowledge of the current and emerging trends and best practices in fund development and the Hudson Valley philanthropic community
Skills and Experience
- Minimum 5-7 years non-profit fundraising experience with increasing levels of responsibility
- Passion for serving people and communities
- Desire to be part of a mission driven organization
- A bachelor’s degree required
- Proven track record in raising funds including individual, corporate, foundation and in-kind
- Understanding of and experience with the operations of a small, fast-paced development shop preferred
- Experience managing a team of staff
- Demonstrated ability to work and collaborate with major donors, business leaders, non-profit board members, committee volunteers, and others.
- Excellent presentation skills and ability to express ideas verbally and in writing
- Excellent persuasive writing skills and strong proofreading and editing skills a must.
- Experience with a donor database required (eTapestry preferred)
- Results-oriented with ability to multi-task and juggle multiple priorities and projects
- Strong organizational, analytical, planning, management and recordkeeping skills
- Experience in the effective management of volunteers
- Ability to compile historical data and provide analysis to obtain critical information for planning, reporting and projections
- Knowledge and experience in the Hudson Valley philanthropic community is preferred
- Understands the Habitat for Humanity mission and has the desire to promote it
- Willing to meet directly with donors and donor prospects and make face-to-face requests for resources and financial support
- Values a team-oriented approach to decision making and problem solving
- Self-driven and able to work effectively with minimal supervision
- Conducts work in cooperation with volunteer committees and the Board
- Enjoys meeting new people and building relationships
- Demonstrates organizational and follow through skills
- Exhibits excellent time management and attention to detail
- Makes sound decisions and demonstrates good judgment
- Communicates effectively with people of diverse backgrounds and income levels
- Provides and receives feedback constructively
- Available and willing to work non-traditional hours, including evenings and weekends when necessary
The review process of applications will begin immediately and remain open until the position is filled. To ensure full consideration, please submit resume, cover letter, and salary. No phone calls please. This position is eligible for health insurance, vacation, and 10 holidays. Salary is commensurate with experience.
Job Type: Full-time