Pflugerville Independent School District - Job Description
Job Title/Position: Lead Custodian Department/School: Assigned Campus
Pay Information: Auxiliary Compensation Plan Supervised By: Custodial Supervisor/Coordinator for
FLSA: Non-Exempt Date Revised: January 2020
Supervise and oversee the assigned campus custodial staff, equipment, and supply inventories. Follow routine cleaning and occasional deep cleaning
as well as perform minor maintenance procedures to maintain a high standard of safety, cleanliness and efficiency of building operations and grounds.
Minimum Qualifications (Experience/Education/Certification):
High school diploma or minimum GED; ability to read, write and follow verbal and written instructions in English; one (1) year experience as a custodian
or in a closely related field.
1. Lead the custodial team at the assigned. Ensure the entire campus is cleaned to PfISD standards daily.
2. Inspect the work of other custodians and take corrective actions as needed.
3. Provide all necessary on the job training to custodians to include safety, security, resupply and equipment inspection, operation and
maintenance. Evaluate work performance of all custodians under his/her supervision.
4. Effectively and efficiently maintain the cleanliness and safety of campus/building areas, including: bathrooms, hallways, classrooms,
administration offices, athletic areas, cafeterias, stages.
5. Effectively and efficiently maintain the cleanliness and safety of outside areas of the campus/building, including: porches, overhangs and
walkways out to 50 feet; water school ground landscaping as required.
6. Effectively perform general cleaning to include cleaning floors by mopping, sweeping, and vacuuming; empty wastebaskets, dump trash,
and replace trash bag; dust furniture, clean windows, replenish soap towel dispensers, and toilet paper.
7. Set up of cafeteria tables and chairs before, during and after lunch; cleans during lunch. Empties trash, compost and recycle bins as
needed. Responds to emergency cleaning calls as required.
8. Inspect, operate and maintain equipment in a safe and reliable manner. Clean equipment after use, report malfunctions to supervisor.
9. Provide minor repairs and maintenance for items such as desks, pencil sharpeners, routine plumbing situations, change light bulbs,
assemble furniture, and ceiling tiles.
10. Move and arrange furniture for special activities to include set up and tear down. May require additional working hours including
11. Adhere to required work hours and work schedule.
12. Report unsafe conditions to the custodial supervisor and/or designee and take corrective action. Document and report all observed building
maintenance needs to custodial supervisor for proper work request processing.
13. Secure building each school day and set alarms. Accept responsibility for keys and access to school property and act in a responsible manner
for the custody of keys and security procedures.
14. Maintain inventory of cleaning supplies and equipment and request additional supplies, as needed.
15. Perform duties and responsibilities as assigned by the custodial supervisor and/or custodial coordinator.
16. Establish and maintain a good working relationship with custodians, campus administrators and staff.
17. Follow Educator Code of Conduct and all policies, procedures, laws and State/Federal regulations.
18. Perform other duties as assigned.
Experience in basic computer and communication through email
Experience in cleaning and operating equipment such as, but not limited to, autoscrubbers, vacuums, buffers, leaf blowers and hand tools.
Experience in mixing cleaning chemicals and reading and understanding warning labels
Knowledge of recycling and composting waste materials
Knowledge of established safety procedures and techniques
Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws, guidelines and procedures
Skill in working in a collaborative, team-based environment
Leads and trains the custodial team and is responsible for all custodial equipment
Working Conditions (Mental Demands/Physical Demands/Environmental Demands):
Must be able to respond to multiple demands and prioritize work load; working around children; repetitive hand motions; daily exposure to possible
adverse weather elements for extended periods of time; exposure to biological hazards and communicable diseases; exposure to cleaning chemicals;
must be able to push, pull, lift, and/or carry at least 40 lbs.
The foregoing statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this job title.
They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, knowledge, skills, and abilities required.