Operations Support Senior Engineer (Mechanical)
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is a consortium of twenty-six cities and water districts that provides drinking water to nearly 19 million people in Southern California. Metropolitan’s mission is to provide its service area with adequate and reliable supplies of high quality water to meet current and future needs in an environmentally and economically responsible way. Metropolitan’s facilities include the 242-mile Colorado River Aqueduct, five conventional water treatment plants with a combined capacity of 2.6 billion gallons per day, nine surface water reservoirs, 800 miles of pipeline, and 16 hydroelectric power plants.
OPERATION SUPPORT SENIOR ENGINEER (MECHANICAL)
The Metropolitan Water District’s Water System Operations Group currently has one (1) opening for an Operation Support Senior Engineer within the Power and Equipment Reliability Unit located at its Weymouth Water Treatment Plant in La Verne, CA.
The Operation Support Senior Engineer is a specialized mechanical engineering position requiring considerable independent judgement. This position requires a strong understanding of operating principles of rotating equipment and other mechanical equipment and systems used in water treatment plants, pumping plants, hydroelectric plants and water distribution systems; determining asset condition and reliability, performing necessary calculations to assess their performance and providing guidance in business decision making to repair or replace these assets. This position also requires the candidate to interact with other departments, including Engineering design staff to ensure design compliance with the strategic priorities of high reliability and ease of operation and maintenance as well as represent Metropolitan by interacting with member agency managers and other outside agencies. This position is also responsible for mentoring and training of junior staff as well as monitoring their technical work.
This position's responsibilities include detailed and advanced analysis of equipment/systems maintenance and operational problems. Development and testing of improved processes and practices to improve equipment and/or system reliability. This position is also responsible for leading the planning, development and deployment of industry best practices in maintenance management and reliability engineering; development of innovative techniques to diagnose impending equipment problems, with an emphasis on rotating equipment and flow measurement devices and systems.
The Primary responsibility for this position includes leading efforts in responding to member agency requests to evaluate performance of existing service connection installations by performing complex flow meter accuracy investigations and pipeline studies and testing. This position also requires the candidate to develop drawings of piping components, layouts and sketches to effect changes to service connections as well as size and select service connection equipment. Other responsibilities include development of machine/fabrication/production drawings and/or guiding and assisting shop fabrication work in fabricating these components.
Successful candidates must have a thorough knowledge in the areas of fluid dynamics; complex fluid systems; flow meters, system integration; system testing; machine design; manufacturing principles and processes; maintenance management and reliability engineering.
1. Manages the equipment upgrade projects; determines type and quantities of equipment; estimates equipment and labor costs; prepares a cost benefit analysis; initiates the capital project request; purchases the equipment; schedules and coordinates installation; provides programming instructions; and oversees installations and troubleshoots start up process.
2. Conducts reviews of maintenance and operational problems; responds to request for assistance; finds and refers to equipment manual and instructions; determines analysis required; proceeds with interviews of operating personnel and reviews equipment history; and issues a recommended solution.
3. Provides technical direction for flow meter upgrades, installation, repair, and calibration; conducts meter flow and sizing calculations for meter change request; inspects meter site; and provides direction and alternative solutions.
4. Conducts rotating equipment vibration monitoring and analysis; gathers equipment data; sets up a database with equipment points and parameters; takes site reading; reviews analyzer data; and issues analysis and recommends repair options and priorities.
5. Reviews customer meter complaints; reviews the meter calibration records and problem history; inspects site and customer comparison installation; reviews flow data and analyzes value comparisons; and determines action to be taken.
6. Conducts research related to the projects to determine impact of decisions; prepares findings and develops recommendations in support of goals and objectives; monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of project administration, service delivery methods, and procedures; and allocates resources accordingly.
Work Schedule: 4/10, 6:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday through Thursday
Education and Experience: Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university and eight years of increasingly responsible experience, of which two years must have been at the Engineer level.
Relevant experience is defined as: general engineering work experience of which two years’ experience must be within any two of the following fields:
• Flow meter selection and application
• Machine Design
• Pump, Turbine or valve (greater than 24”) design and/or manufacturing
• Commissioning of large rotating equipment (greater than 1000hp)
• Stress Analysis
• Treatment Plant System design
• Reliability Engineering
Required Knowledge of: Flow meter design; mechanical equipment design; rotating equipment vibration causes and analysis; mechanical equipment components; and project management.
Required Skills and Abilities to: Plan and organize work; review work products for detail and adherence to guidelines; encourage and facilitate cooperation; exercise judgment and discretion; interpret and analyze results; communicate orally and in writing on administrative and technical topics; represent Metropolitan to members of the public; establish and maintain collaborative working relationships with all levels within the organization and the public; and use business applications such as word processing and spreadsheets.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, AND REGISTRATIONS REQUIREMENTS
• Valid California Class C Driver License or equivalent from state of residency is required at time of application
• License in good standing as a California Professional Engineer
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met or may be encountered by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Physical Demands: Light
Work Environment: Primarily an indoor work environment typical of an office setting. The work environment may include some exposure to outside elements. May travel to various sites requiring overnight stay.
• Competitive compensation
• Excellent medical, dental, life, vision
• Retirement plans, including pension plan and 401k
• Tuition reimbursement
• Training and advancement opportunities
• Excellent working environment
• Public transportation reimbursements and van pools
• Hub of public transportation: Rail, subway, buses and taxis
For more information on MWD benefits, please use the following link: http://www.mwdh2o.com/PDF_Careers/benefits.pdf
This job announcement has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work being performed by employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job. To receive a copy of the complete job description, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Metropolitan Water District of Southern California is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Qualified individuals with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation during the application or selection process, please call (213) 217-7738 or email email@example.com.
MWD is a Federal and State EO employer - Veterans/Disabled and other protected categories.
Apply Online : http://mwdh2o.contacthr.com/62105327
Apply Online : http://mwdh2o.contacthr.com/62105327