SALARY AND BENEFITS:
The salary range will be from $90,000 - $100,000 per year.
This position is a Management Personnel Plan (MPP) position in the CSU, and serves at the pleasure of the President.
The CSU enjoys a generous benefits program with employer paid life insurance ($100,000), as well as health, dental, and vision insurance with the monthly premium largely paid by the CSU. Additionally, we offer a broad range of other benefits which includes dependent and health care reimbursement accounts, tuition fee waiver, 401k, 457 and 403(b) plans.
The CSU belongs to the CalPERS retirement plan in which medical and dental insurance continues in qualified retirement.
The CSU has 14 paid holidays and the position earns 24 days of vacation and 12 days of sick leave per year.
For more information on the benefits program, please visit http://www.csueastbay.edu/af/departments/hr/benefits/index.html
ABOUT CAL STATE EAST BAY:
Cal State East Bay's beautiful main campus is located in the Hayward hills with panoramic views of the San Francisco Bay shoreline. Situated above the city of Hayward, the campus offers an ideal setting for teaching and learning and yet easy access to the many cities along the bay. The University has a satellite campus in Concord, a professional development center in Oakland and a significant presence online. Founded in 1957, Cal State East Bay is one of 23 universities of the California State University system (CSU). With an enrollment over 15,800 students, Cal State East Bay is recognized as a regionally engaged and globally oriented university with a strong commitment to academic innovation, student success, engaged and service learning, diversity, and sustainability.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
Under the direct supervision of the Associate Vice President, Facilities Development and Operations, the Director, Business Operations oversees department's budgets, general administration, personnel administration, workflow management and inventory management as listed below:
- Business Services
- Business and Administration Operations
- Budget and Financial planning
- Facilities Information Technology
- Customer Service
- Workflow Management
- Materials Management and Warehouse Services
- Human Resources Liaison
Responsible for FD&O's annual budget preparation and financial forecasting. Monitor annual operating budget of over $10.0 million, energy budget of over $4.0 million, and major/minor construction budget of over $100 million. Responsible for the preparation and analysis of all service group budgets; establishing and operating an adequate system of accounting and financial reporting, working with external auditors, and monitoring expenditure compliance with funding requirements.
Responsible for personnel administration functions for staff consisting of full-time, part-time, temporary, hourly, student assistants and consultants, including: a standard recruitment and hiring procedure for all personnel; payroll process, i.e. regular, overtime, asbestos, shift differential, hourly, consultant and student payroll. Also, researches, develops and coordinates programs such as the apprenticeship program, quality and continuous improvement programs, as applicable.
Oversees workflow management services including work and service requests, coordination, tracking and reporting of all work requests, development of target performance metrics and coordination of improvements with the various service units; responsible for the automated information systems related to energy management, facilities maintenance management, material inventory control, financial and contract management, space planning and scheduling, and administration.
Oversees the financial reporting of Major Capital Outlay, Minor Capital Outlay and Deferred Maintenance, Special Repairs projects, work control, utility consumption and cost projections; State Driver Vehicle Accident. Prepares and/or directs the preparation of supplemental reports as requested by the AVP and the Chancellor's Office.
Oversees procurement including public works contracting processes, from initial project development to final contract awards; logistical services function of a warehouse and distribution operation; procurement process of new equipment, supplies/materials, and services for entire staff.
Serves as a liaison with the Offices of Human Resources, Payroll Services, and Risk Management to ensure compliance with campus, CSU, state and federal rules and regulations, collective bargaining agreements.
Other duties as assigned.
- Five (5) to eight (8) years of progressive budget and finance experience in an academic facilities management or similar environment.
- Accounting, budgets, finance, procurement and contracting processes, procedures and standards.
- Financial practices to ensure compliance and accountability.
- Basic management principles and procedures.
- Quality assurance procedure to support operations to meet customer expectation.
- Management and administrative techniques related to the development and implementation of appropriate methods of work planning, scheduling, and coordination Human resources policies, standards and procedures.
- Processes to ensure operational excellence.
- Organizing and analyzing data to inform and to assist with decision making.
- Setting performance expectations and providing coaching and mentorship to support individual, team and department success.
- Addressing highly sensitive issues and maintain strict confidence.
- Problem solving and strategic thinking.
- Developing and implementing process improvements.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Effectively lead and manage a diverse group of personnel including professionals and technical staff in an education environment.
- Train and evaluate the productivity and performance of staff.
- Analyze situations and take corrective action.
- Negotiate and reach consensus with union stewards and unionized employees.
- Maintain effective working relationship with the University's senior administration, faculty, staff and students
- Interpret and apply University policies and procedures.
- Determine needs and oversee the performance of a wide range of complex and responsible management assignments. Ability to deal effectively with campus personnel, government representatives, contractors, and vendors.
- Effective communicate verbally and written, use judgement, make decisions and facilitate change.
- Work collaboratively with departments across campus to accomplish agreed goals and objectives and to establish priorities among competing assignments.
HOW TO APPLY:
- Master's degree in Management, Business/Finance or related degree.
In addition to the standard Cal State East Bay application, please submit a:
1. Cover letter
3. List of three (3) or more professional references
Resumes alone will not be accepted in lieu of a completed online application.
To apply on-line, please go to www.csueastbay.edu/jobs. If you are a first time user, you must register, create a user ID and password, fill in your basic information, save and click on the position you are interested in, click on the "Apply Now" button to begin the online application.
This position will remain open until filled and may close without further notice.
Applicants will receive a confirmation of receipt via automatic email reply regarding their application materials. In addition, all applicants who were not selected will receive email notification at the conclusion of the recruitment process. Please be patient as this process may take several weeks.
CONDITION(S) OF EMPLOYMENT:
This is a position with supervisory/lead responsibilities, subject to completion of the University on-line Sexual Harassment training as a condition of employment.
This position is a "designated position" in the CSU's Conflict of Interest Code. The successful candidate accepting this position is required to file Conflict of Interest forms subject to the regulations of the Fair Political Practices Commission.
Satisfactory completion of a background check that may include, but is not limited to: criminal records check, verification of academic credentials, licenses, certificates, credit history, professional references and/or verification of work history is required for employment. Cal State East Bay will issue a conditional offer of employment to the selected candidate, which may be rescinded if the background check reveals disqualifying information, and/or it is discovered that the candidate knowingly withheld or falsified information. Unsatisfactory results may also affect the continued employment of current Cal State East Bay employees who were conditionally offered the position.
All background checks are conducted through the university's third party vendor, Accurate.
All California State University campuses, including Cal State East Bay, are smoke and tobacco-free. For more information, please visit our website at http://www.csueastbay.edu/smokeandtobaccofree/
In compliance with state and federal crime awareness and campus security legislation, including The Jeanne Clery Disclosure of Campus Security Policy and Crime Statistics Act, the Cal State East Bay Annual Campus Security Report is available at: http://www.csueastbay.edu/upd/safety-and-security-reports.html
At Cal State East Bay, the following nine competencies have been identified as valued leadership qualities: Communication, Cooperation, Delegation, Empathy, Feedback, Innovation, Leadership Presence, Passion and Strategic Ability. While we may not expect our managers to exhibit all of these competencies, we do expect them to aspire to develop them. As part of the annual evaluation review process, the Director, Business Operations will be evaluated on each.
The incumbent in this position may be considered a mandated reporter under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and will be required to comply with requirements set forth in the CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
Cal State East Bay is not a sponsoring agency for Staff or Management positions.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Cal State East Bay does not discriminate on the basis of any protected categories: age, ancestry, citizenship, color, disability, gender, immigration status, marital status, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran's status. The University is committed to the principles of diversity in employment and to creating a stimulating learning environment for its diverse student body.