The Des Moines Register is seeking a video specialist to create videos off the day’s biggest news and other visual pieces and projects on all our digital platforms.
The video specialist will work independently and also team with reporters and editors. He or she will be asked to employ an array of storytelling tools: video, still images, words, social media platforms like Instagram stories and more. This position reports to the multimedia/visuals content coach, who oversees the Register’s visual staff.
Our visual staff is made up of true multimedia journalists who routinely deliver impactful still images and powerful videos but also have created podcasts and pioneered VR storytelling. We want someone who can help elevate the video work of our staff to reach new audiences. This position may require some night and weekend shifts, as well as occasional photo shifts when the news or the staff schedule requires it.
Des Moines is one of the most robust metro areas in the country, often touted as one of the top places for young professionals to live and work. The visuals staff at the Register also gets a front-row seat to national politics every four years, with preparations already underway for covering the next Iowa caucus cycle.
To be successful as the Register’s video specialist, you would need:
- A bachelor's degree in journalism, photography or broadcast news, with a minimum of two to three years of experience preferred.
- A passion for video storytelling, with the ability to complete long-form projects as well as break down complex subjects into quick, social-friendly videos.
- Proficiency using the Adobe Creative suite, including Premiere, After Effects and Audition.
- Experience with audio gathering, both in studio and in the field; podcasting skills a plus.
- Basic news writing experience, including the ability to write accurate and detailed captions, video scripts and copy blocks to support stand-alone visuals.
- Understanding of social media and how to engage groups, fan bases and audiences on digital platforms.
- Effective communication skills and the ability to get along with diverse personalities
- The ability to multi-task, adapt and use time efficiently under intense deadline pressure in a rapidly changing industry
- Experience with or a willingness to learn live video production equipment (Teradek and TriCaster systems) and platforms (Livestream and Facebook Live).
Candidates should include a cover letter, resume, salary requirements and links to a portfolio of videos, as well as related work as appropriate.