The System Administrator II (SA-II) is responsible for effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, and maintenance of the GTCC systems hardware, software and related infrastructure. S/He will evaluate and maintain servers and systems to ensure their proper security, operation and availability. The SA-II will assist and lead project teams, address technical issues and offer engineered solutions supporting the college. These activities include technical strategy, research & development and maintenance within the documented project life cycle. Systems Administrators will monitor systems for proper operation, system maintenance, security-breaches. S/He will follow established process to standardize overall server management; ensuring equipment for system patches and maintenance of software/firmware. S/He will ensure successful backups of both files and ERP data and restore data as necessary. This position works closely with department managers throughout the college to analyze technology requirements, document specifications, and provide technical solutions.
- Monitor systems, including CPU usage and storage capacities, and ensure proper server access and file sharing
- Plan and coordinate technology projects using project management methodologies
- Plan and deploy weekly maintenance activities according to approved processes, loading patches and notifying users.
- Ensure backups are defined and executed properly with documented results
- Disaster recovery planning and testing of the accepted plans to ensure availability of the ERP and supporting data to the users.
- Monitor license renewal dates and ensure appropriate continuity and availability of deployed solutions, striving to retain a 99.99% uptime
- Publish operational performance metrics monitoring key systems parameters to interdict problems before they impact availability of services.
- Meet assigned deadlines for project and tasks, providing weekly status updates to the Operations manager.
- Maintain status of assigned tasks using the ticketing solution
- Ensure business continuity by documenting development and programming projects and test developed solutions using keen problem solving skills.
- Demonstrate and model the College’s employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork.
- Perform all other duties as may be assigned by supervisor.
- Balancing daily challenges with automating / documenting procedures
- Managing ongoing projects and high priority daily break/fix issues
- Managing Service Requests with insufficient information
- Daily: Operations manager for work assignments and scheduling
- Daily: Network/PC technicians about help with projects and troubleshooting
- Daily: System Administrators for daily coordination of work and system checks.
- Weekly: Operations group for staff meetings to share tasks and project updates
- Weekly: Venders about quotes and project status
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology (computer science, computer information systems, programming or other related field) from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution.
- Master’s degree in information technology (computer science, computer information systems, programming or other related field) from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution.
- MCSE, MCP, Network , INET preferred
- CompTIA A+ preferred
- Five years of experience as a Systems Administrator Level I or II
- Seven years of work experience in IT field
- Three years of experience in administering a virtual environment
- Experience with Ellucian Colleague ERP system administration strongly preferred
- Experience with Ellucian products, WebAdvisor, Student Self Service, E-Commerce, Colleague Portal, UniData, and Colleague Studio.
- Current Industry certifications.
- Windows server OS, Mac OS, Linux OS, preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge in network concepts and communication protocols
- Demonstrated knowledge Fiber and ISCSI Storage area platforms
- Demonstrated knowledge in administrating multiple platforms
- Demonstrated knowledge of of Unix, VMWare ESXi, and Windows Server Administration including DHCP, DNS, SMTP, Active Directory, vCenter, ESXi and Solaris
- Ability to manage multiple projects and associated budgets
- Ability to analyze problems, identify alternative solutions, project consequences of proposed actions and implement recommendations in support of goals.
- Strong organization and problem solving skills
KSA Preferred Department/Job Specific Requirements
The following (compliance) training is required and must be completed within the first 30 days of hire with annual refresher training thereafter:
- Safety/Shooter on Campus
- Personal Information Protection Training (PIP)
- Anti-Discrimination/Harassment & Title IX
- Other training may be required as determined applicable.
- Must have a valid NC driver’s license
- Physical Activity:Primarily sitting
- Environmental Hazard(s):<15%
- Lifting:20< 50lbs.
Posting Type Staff
Posting Detail Information
Posting Number 2018-048-REG-P
Open Date 07/03/2018
Open Until Filled Yes
Special Instructions to Applicants