Head of Operations
Google R+D for the Built Environment, Full-time, Contract Mountain View, CA
Who we are/ What we do:
Google R+D is the Ideas Workshop for the Built Environment. We are architects, engineers, researchers, designers, inventors, dreamers and builders who are obsessed with meaningfully shaping our environment. We are a community of optimistic, passionate, action-oriented solution-seekers who love to say “yes” and then create the path to deliver on that answer. From the scale of the Desk to the scale of the District, we generate ideas and prototypes that deliver immediate tangible value, and project a resilient, resource efficient, technologically-enriched and beautiful future.
What You Do:
As the Head of Operations, you are the mastermind of our lab resource strategies. You develop evaluative criteria that help us spend our money and time wisely, while making sure that workloads and human resources are balanced with the labs’ R+D priorities. You have broad general knowledge base across all aspects of design and construction. You have enough industry specific knowledge to understand what big picture strategies need to be employed so that our business outcomes are aligned with our innovation ambitions. You provide us with the tools necessary to generate the best, most productive environment.
You adeptly move between high level views and details. You are an adept natural communicator, optimistic and positive, and can make hard work feel like a vocation. You identify with the success of the team, and dive in to do whatever it takes to have the Lab be the best it can be. You thrive in an optimistic team environment where we deeply respect each other and try to leave each other feeling inspired and energized.
- Owns operational oversight, collaboratively planning quarterly and yearly work with schedules, budgets, staffing, and other business aspects of the
- Develops analytical frameworks and instruments (such as lean thinking, ) that facilitate decision-making and improve lab performance related to budget, time and personnel.
- Keeps track of staffing requirements, manages hiring new talent as needed to correspond with specific duties and skill sets, onboarding, and training new team members
- Manages annual 360 reviews of team, nurtures the team, helps in individuals career growth. Helps the entire team and each person be their best and happiest in the
- Helps to untangle team communications, processes and/or content problems where needed
- Provides support to the team when new processes are rolled
- Checks in regularly with lab leadership to make sure design and operational visions are aligned
- Embodies the ethos and expands the ambitions of the R+D Lab
- Prepares monthly financial forecast, works with accounting, HR, and training departments, and prepares organization share-out presentations as needed
- Helps review and resolve ‘redlines’ to consultant and subcontract agreements
- Seasoned organizational management experience including managing multiple teams simultaneously
- A background in Management and Finance in the construction, Architecture and/or Engineering
- Expertise in budget preparation, financial analysis, and
- Strong industry knowledge: Staying abreast of current trends, pricing, and new technology in their industry aids operations consultants in their evaluation and recommendation of new processes
- Excellent planning skills, including careful attention to detail, information organization and timeline tracking; ability to utilize data to tell a story
- Self driven and efficient time management skills
- Ability to multitask, responsibility for several concurrent projects and dealing with internal and external clients and vendors require operations consultants to balance competing priorities
- Tools for understand potential exposures/roadblocks and strategies to overcome them
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively across many teams and at all organizational levels
- Solution-Seeking and action-oriented
- Demonstrated positive and effective leadership
- Organized, meticulous manager, yet also a creative problem solver
- Relentless curiosity and a passion for the built environment
- Enjoys helping others be there best
- Leverage industry relationships to ensure the best thought leaders are engaged
- Highly approachable
This position is 40hrs/week Independent Contract in Mountain View, CA.
Please submit professional credentials to Tiana Zarate
Job Type: Contract
- Construction, Architecture, and/or Engineering: 3 years (Preferred)
Full Time Opportunity: