Assistant Regional Accounting Director - (156443)
At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That’s why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our 'About Us' video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
We are looking for an Assistant Regional Accounting Director to add to our team in the South Central Region. This position is located at our 8750 N. Central Expressway office in Dallas.
The Assistant Regional Accounting Director position reports to a Regional Accounting Director and is funded and managed by national finance and accounting budget(s). This position will have three direct reports. One (1) from the Dallas, Texas Architecture office; one (1) from the Dallas, Texas Engineering office; and one (1) from the Houston, Texas Architecture office. While you will be managing Architecture and Engineering Accounting staff, you will also be providing leadership and accounting director duties for our North Texas Engineering/Architecture Areas and Houston Architecture Area.
This position is responsible for organizing and directing core accounting activities for both accounting operations of multiple managed cost centers and also project-financial activities. This includes, but is not limited to, ensuring accurate and timely review and processing of employee timesheets, employee expense reports, accounts payable, billing and accounts receivable, internal cost recovery and various other accounting and financial management functions. This position provides assurance to the Area Manager(s)/Managing Principal(s) and Regional Accounting Director that practices and procedures are being followed in accordance with HDR policies, HDR accounting principles, contractual client obligations and government compliance standards. This position will receive guidance, direction and training from the Regional Accounting Director and will be responsible to assist the Regional Accounting Director with specialized duties as assigned below.
This position will partner with Area leadership to analyze financial statements & metrics and work to continually improve performance. In addition to an individual that possesses analytical skills, this individual must also possess leadership and management skills necessary to effectively orchestrate accounting staff in the performance of various project-financial functions and department accounting functions. This position requires a team player who can leverage staff and resources to execute core functions and strategic initiatives in an efficient and effective manner. This may involve training and mentoring local department accountant(s) and/or project accountant(s) while networking and building relationships with local Operations Managers and Project Managers. This position will continually work to improve processes and procedures, communicate and train respective stakeholders and work to build a consistent finance and accounting operation. Ultimately, this individual is a mechanism and investment to improve company performance.
The primary duties and responsibilities for oversight and support of local Department Accountants and/or Project Accountants are as follows:
General Department Accountant & Project Accountant Support and Oversight:
Department Accountant Duties:
Project Accountant Duties:
- Review and assure upload of employee timesheets relative to HDR timekeeping policy & procedures. Work with Regional Accounting Director to communicate HDR standards and improve accuracy and compliance.
- Review and assure upload of employee expense reports relative to HDR expense report procedures and HDR Travel and Business Expense Policy & Procedures.
- Perform/review Accounts Payable functions relative to HDR accounts payable procedures.
- Perform/review internal cost recovery functions.
- Perform/review cost transfers as necessary.
- Perform/review/run monthly report for “cost clearing” account (transactions that fail project validation in Oracle EBS during system processing).
- Manage and oversee the production of billing/invoicing; support local Department Accountant(s) or Project Accountant(s) as needed.
Specialized Assistant Regional Accounting Director Functions:
- Perform research and provide necessary data for Project Managers, Area Managers/Managing Principals and others regarding project financial status, which includes fee/budget, staffing and accounts receivable if Department Accountant or Project Accountant is unavailable.
- Send out monthly outstanding Accounts Receivable report to the Region by Area and collaborate with Project Accountants and Project Managers to resolve outstanding Accounts Receivable issues.
- Respond to project-financial requests from Area Managers/Managing Principals and Regional Accounting Director.
- Attend or lead and participate in Management/Business Reviews at the request of Area Manager, Project Accountant or Regional Accounting Director.
- Assist the Area Manager(s) and Regional Accounting Director with the production and compilation of annual operating budgets for local operations Areas. This includes production and analysis of the Rolling 12/Rolling Forecast backlog tool.
- Research, analyze and report financial trends & statistics based on requests by Area Manager(s) with support and direction from Regional Accounting Director.
- Perform financial statement reviews and analysis. This includes performing manual revenue adjustments in preparation for monthly revenue recognition meetings.
- Review, analyze and communicate financial results with local Operations leadership with guidance and direction from Regional Accounting Director.
- Organize, assist or lead monthly revenue recognition meetings with Regional Accounting Director.
- Analyze and report revenue positions for respective operations Areas with direction and oversight from the Regional Accounting Director.
- Review Department profit/loss statements; research and report notable expense variances to Area Manager(s) and Regional Accounting Director.
- Train, lead, mentor and support local operations accounting staff with assistance and collaboration of Regional Accounting Director.
- Assist Area Manager(s) and Regional Accounting Director with project management training initiatives, information system training and process/procedure improvements, which includes an emphasis on government contracting and FAR compliance.
- Bachelor’s Degree; preferably in Accounting or Finance
- Minimum 5 years accounting experience
- Highly proficient with MS Office applications,
- Must be self-motivated, well-organized, detail-oriented and able to work well independently
- Oracle experience desired
- Solid understanding of accounting principles is a must, preferably with project accounting experience in A/E/C industry
- Preference given to local candidates
At HDR, we know work isn’t only about who you work for; it’s also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other’s contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.
Marketing and Admin
Nov 12, 2019