Qualified applicants must be 18 years or older. Applicants must be a U.S. citizen or have permanent resident alien status. Applicants must successfully pass Exam 475. Qualified applicants must successfully pass a pre-employment screening including a drug screening to meet the U.S. Postal Service’s requirement to be drug free. Qualified applicants must also pass a criminal & motor vehicle background check.
Duties and responsibilities:
1. Unloads mail from trucks. Separates all mail received from trucks and conveyors for dispatch to other conveying units and separates and delivers mail for delivery to distribution areas.
2. Places empty sacks or pouches on racks, labels them where prearranged or where racks are plainly marked. Dumps mail from sacks, cuts ties, faces letter mail, carriers mail to distributors for processing. Places processed mail into sacks, removes filled sacks and pouches from racks and closes and locks sacks and pouches. Picks up sacks, pouches, and outside pieces, separates outgoing bulk mails for dispatch and loads mail onto trucks.
3. Handles and sacks empty equipment, inspects empty equipment for mail and restrings sacks.
4. Cancels stamps on parcel post, operates cancelling machines, and carries mail from cancelling machine to distribution area.
5. Assists in supply and slip rooms and operates copy machine and related office equipment.
6. In addition, may perform any of the following duties, make occasional simple distribution of parcel post mail that requires no scheme knowledge. Operate electric fork lifts, rewrap damage parcels, weigh incoming sacks, clean and sweep work areas, offices rest rooms, and trucks where work is not performed by a regular cleaner.
7. Operates equipment and machinery assigned to the jurisdiction of the Mail Handler Union.
8. Performs other duties as assigned.
All applicants must apply online at www.usps.com/careers
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $16.00 /hour
Overtime often available:
Typical start time:
Typical end time: