The Accountant/Sr. Accountant is responsible for the development and implementation of all financial information systems and accounting and reporting procedures and workflows as well as producing monthly financial statements and preparing and entering standard accounting entries.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Preparation of journal entries to record all revenues and associated cash receipts.
- Verify patient receivable accounts with practice management system and reconcile if there are variances and reasons for such variances.
- Maintenance of fixed asset schedule including preparation of journal entries to recognize monthly depreciation, acquisitions, and disposals.
- Maintenance of prepaid expenses schedule including preparation of monthly journal entries to recognize expenses.
- Prepare monthly bank reconciliation statement for all cash accounts.
- Analyze all balance sheet, revenue and expenses accounts and prepare monthly account reconciliations.
- Preparation of various schedules in conjunction with annual audit process.
- Monitor grant spending activity against grant budgets and request reimbursements as necessary.
- Preparation of monthly financial statements with variance analysis, performance indicators, and key metrics.
- Preparation of the Uniform data System (UDS), Federal Financial Report (FFR), Medicaid and Medicare cost reports.
- Preparation of all other funder specific financial reports.
- Assist in the preparation and timely submission of Federal and State Tax returns Including AG-990 IL.
Financial Information Systems & General Ledger:
- Prepare annual operating budget in coordination with CFO, Director of Human Resources and other senior leaders.
- Prepare grant and program budgets in coordination with program managers, grants manager, and CFO.
- Maintain the general ledger in accordance with the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) as well as all State and Federal requirements including A-133 audit requirements.
- Maintain and update Chart of Account and recommended developing and improving financial systems, financial policies and internal control procedures.
- Work with other finance/accounting staff to implement streamlined procedures and workflow.
- All other duties as assigned
Required Skills or Abilities
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to establish strong working relationships and to communicate effectively with leadership team, site leaders, physicians and clinicians, behavioral health team members.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Demonstrated ability to work in a team based environment
- Ability to communicate in a confidential and HIPAA compliant manner
- Ability to maintain appropriate professional boundaries with all staff, trainees, and patients at all times.
- Ability to demonstrate respect and sensitivity for cultural diversity, gender differences, and sexual orientation of patients and coworkers
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Knowledge of other Microsoft Office products (Word, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook)
Required Knowledge, Experience, or Licensure/Registration
- Bachelor's degree in applicable field such as Accounting, Finance, Economics, Statistics, Health Care or Business Administration, Health Care Informatics or Information Science.
- Minimum 2-3 years of total experience in financial management/reporting, budgeting, grant reporting, PC based accounting systems, electronic spreadsheets, non profit tax returns data management; preparing, reviewing, and presenting performance data,
- Minimum 2 years of experience within a healthcare environment, preferably in primary care, patient-centered medical home, or ambulatory care environments
- Master's in Business, Economics, Statistics, Health Care Informatics or Information Science.
- Prior experience and familiarity with managed care and the FQHC environment.
- Experience with Abila MIP Fund accounting.