This position requires an individual who has significant employee and labor relations experience, deep subject matter knowledge, and strong communication and interpersonal skills that enables the individual to work successfully on a broad spectrum of employee and labor relations issues and projects. The position supports Amazon Web Services.
The central objective of Amazon's Employee Relations team is to ensure our organization's treatment of employees is fair, respectful, and consistent with our framework of our core business values and objectives. To support that objective, this position's responsibilities fall into proactive and reactive categories, with the primary focus of the role (*75-80%) reactive employee relations. The individual will work reactively on critical employee relations issues that are highly sensitive and typically can only be successfully completed with limited time, such as: workplace investigations, consultations on challenging employee situations, and/or responding to potential union activity. Balancing time between proactive projects and crisis-response is a critical component for success in the position.
The individual will also work on proactive programs that improve employee relations. The individual, for example, will work proactively to:
- Partner with business leaders and HR teams to create and sustain positive employee relations programs and best practices
- Deliver employee and labor relations training modules
- Design, collect, and analyze multiple levels of employee feedback, and conduct and oversee employee relations and vulnerability assessment programs
- Partner to engage in continuous improvement in communication vehicles and practices
- Analyze, diagnose, design, and revise people programs, policies, and practices to sustain positive employee relations
The position reports to an Employee Relations Principal within Amazon Web Services. The position will be based in Seattle and is a full-time position that will likely require travel, up to 30% of the time over the course of the year.
- 7+ years direct experience in employee relations, labor relations, or labor/employment law with an emphasis on labor and employee relations work
- Experience working in unionized settings and significant experience in handling union organizing activities required
- Bachelor's degree required; advanced degree, JD, or other specialized training in labor/employee relations a significant plus
- Solid understanding of federal and state employment & labor laws
- Experience in designing and delivering successful training programs
- Technically proficient in MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
- Able to pass a comprehensive background and reference check
- Team player with strong written and oral communication skills; excellent public speaker
- Strong interpersonal and persuasion skills, enabling individual to establish partnerships working with senior leaders and across organizational lines
- Able to handle confidential information in a mature and professional manner
- Highly analytical thinker and problem solver
- Proven attention to detail; extremely organized
- Acts with sense of urgency, bias for action, fast pace, and desire to thrive in a dynamically growing environment
- High-quality judgment and sound decision-making
- Strong project and time management skills with ability to multi-task and manage multiple projects to closure
- Confident and innovative thinker; isn't satisfied with "checking the box" or just pulling out "what we did at my last job"
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role
- Meets/exceeds Amazon’s functional/technical depth and complexity for this role
Amazon is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Female / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation