Scope of Position
Under general supervision and following applicable laws and statutes of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, collects and electronically transfers patient data to register births and provide prenatal statistical information on all newborn infants and their parents. Acts as the point of contact between Health Information Services, parents, nurses, obstetricians, Department of Public Health, and various City Halls throughout the Commonwealth.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
1. Promotes the philosophy that patients and their families are our primary customers.
2. Maintains effective working relationships with unit staff, other departments, providers of unit services.
3. Using interviewing techniques, problem solving skills, and knowledge of Massachusetts State Laws, determines what information is required from the patient in order to accurately complete paternity papers, paternity denials, birth statements, and social security forms.
4. Educate parents and public regarding current Birth Certificate Department and State requirements, as necessary.
5. Generates daily reports from OB/Newborn units to help structure workday and identify patient priorities.
6. Gathers data regarding newborn from Epic (EMR) and sets up worksheets to interview parents in order to collect, document, and/or verify patient data to create legal birth certificate.
7. Monitors timely retrieval of birth certificates and worksheets.
8. Assist with directing patients, families, and staff to appropriate resources, as necessary. May include contacting hospital Interpreter Services or Commission for the Deaf and coordinate interpreters for appointments or non-English speaking or hearing impaired patients.
9. Obtains obstetrician information required for birth statistics on patient floor, Labor and Delivery unit, Health Information Services or, in urgent cases, phones or pages him/her.
10. Notarize paternity papers and denials; log notarized forms into specified log journals to track paternity/denial forms.
11. Enters patient data into Virtual Information Partnership (VIP) with 100% accuracy to register births. Enter additional statistical data, as required.
12. Performs quality checks on completed birth certificates and transfers to Registry of Vital Records via USPS mail.
13. Reviews prenatal statistic information received on each birth for quality, confirm information is complete, and electronically submits data to the Department of Public Health.
14. Works closely with the State to review/correct information noted in the monthly report from the Department of Public Health.
15. Answers questions in person or via phone regarding birth certification registration from the Department of Public Health, parents, families, adoption agencies, and lawyers.
16. Fields calls regarding social security information, paternity testing, and child support issues.
17. Schedule appointments with discharged patients to complete birth certificate information, if necessary.
18. Assist walk-in parents with paternity papers, paternity denials, and information changes.
19. Obtains Hospital Administrator (manager or designee) signature on unsigned birth certificates and notarized corrections. Sends notarized corrections to City Hall, if necessary.
20. When required, issue birth certificates for transferring patients born outside of MGH, in accordance with Vital Records guidelines and authorization.
21. Works with social work, Labor & Delivery, and Admitting staff to obtain complete birth certificate of deceased infants.
22. Call parents to obtain the baby's name if discharged before completion of paperwork. Update newborn name in Epic, post discharge.
23. Works closely with the State to ensure MGH continues to meet state reporting requirements.
24. Maintains counts of daily/monthly/yearly births.
25. Provide manager with daily productivity stats to ensure that staffing levels are matched to workload requirements.
26. General clerical duties may include informing admin when supplies and equipment are needed, working with IS on maintaining equipment, printers, and fax, managing/storing/destroying paper records when appropriate.
27. Assist in other areas of department as determined by supervisor/manager.
28. Performs other duties as assigned.
1. High school diploma required, bachelor’s degree preferred
2. Medical terminology certification granted by an approved terminology course or equivalent
3. Established Notary Public or willingness to apply preferred
4. Expert typing skills with high attention to detail
5. Six to twelve months of experience working in a Health Information Services Department preferred
6. Bilingual English/Spanish preferred
Excellent communication skills and conflict resolution abilities. Ability to act in a professional manner to accurately advise, instruct, and deal effectively and diplomatically with physicians, patients and all levels of hospital personnel while ensuring patient data is kept confidential. Must be able to work by oneself and use independent judgment, especially on nursing unit.
1. Ability to communicate in a professional manner in order to obtain sensitive but required information from patients so that a complete, legal birth certificate can be created for the newborn. Consequences of errors greatly impact the newborn throughout his/her life as well as the parents and hospital.
2. The ability to meet deadlines is crucial; must be able to organize own workload, which includes work on the patient units, telephone, and in the Birth Registry Offices.
3. Must be skillful in typing (50 wpm) and have the ability to be extremely accurate when gathering and entering birth information. The Registry does not accept birth certificates submitted to Registry of Births with identified errors.
4. Knowledge of medical terminology to accurately and quickly type in to the VIP System.
High stress environment/high volume; Required to walk, climb stairs, and carry up to 20lbs.
Birth Registrar offices are very small and have no windows. Offices are shared with 1 to 3 employees.
: MA-Boston-MGH Main Campus
MGH Main Campus
55 Fruit Street
: Massachusetts General Hospital(MGH)
Standard Hours : 40
: Day Job
Posted Shift Description : Monday - Friday 9am-5pm, rotating Saturdays
Recruiting Department : MGH Admitting & Registration
: May 15, 2018