Senior Systems Engineer - Systems Modeling & Controls Expert
This role offers you a rare opportunity to directly impact the energy industry alongside a team of passionate, creative engineers and entrepreneurs in a fun, dynamic innovation center. Shell TechWorks (STW) has developed a company-leading technology delivery methodology that blends systems and design thinking with state-of-the-art technologies and tools, to produce highly effective solutions for Shell. In addition to developing creative systems and products, you will also be part of a truly collaborative, inclusive, multi-functional team with a mission to help Shell produce more and cleaner energy.
This position is assigned to Shell TechWorks. For more information about Shell TechWorks, please visit their website: http://www.shell.com/global/future-energy/innovation/innovate-with-shell/shell-techworks.html.
Systems engineering and Agile serve as the fundamental cornerstones for how we approach challenges and deliver disruptive technologies. Our diverse breadth of technical expertise and local network give us a unique advantage to thoroughly diagnose operational inefficiencies and discover new solutions that enable Shell to make the future.
Some examples of projects we have worked on recently include:
- Predicting future maintenance cost savings and safety performance from adopting new technologies and workflows in the field.
- Development of new products that serve as enablers for the Hydrogen economy as well as performing root cause analysis on the variance in construction costs of Shell hydrogen fueling stations.
- Analyzing the financial transactions and transportation costs of a downstream business to identify cost saving opportunities.
- Building a constraint database of sequencing and technologies used to plug and abandon wells.
Application of Innovative Systems Thinking & Disciplines:
The candidate will be expected to work with customers (internal and external to Shell), the STW engineering team, and end users to frame business problems and uncover root causes. The candidate will be expected to use qualitative and quantitative techniques to understand and visualize complex systems. The candidate will help generate the data, analysis, and frameworks needed to empower customers and stakeholders to make better-informed decisions. STW is seeking individuals who are innovative and design-focused rather than process oriented! Candidates must have excellent critical and abstract thinking skills. Experience working in an Agile environment is preferred.
Leadership and Collaboration: A senior systems engineer at STW is asked to perform the role of product owner and assume leadership positions on projects; it is imperative the candidate demonstrate the characteristics of a servant leader. The candidate must have the demonstrated ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously, collaborate with junior and senior team members, and provide guidance and leadership for others. The candidate should feel comfortable working with minimal oversight.
Technical Knowledge: In addition, the candidate must demonstrate deep knowledge in Systems Modeling & Controls Theory. Due to the broad spectrum of projects STW engages in, the candidate must demonstrate an ability to rapidly gain understanding in engineering disciplines and theory that are foreign to him/her and provide meaningful analysis & modeling products to the design process.
Some examples of previous projects related to systems modeling and controls development include:
- Creating a simple model for the hydraulic fracturing process to identify inefficiencies and identify critical path. Subsequent conversion of the model to a more complex and dynamic version using a tool such as MATLAB Simulink.
- Developing the control systems for the Smart Torque Wrench from a concept to prototype to product commercialization.
Business Development: Senior systems engineers are asked to support business development and grow our business. The candidate is expected to provide technical direction to Business Development staff to ensure candidate projects are in line with our core capabilities and are of strategic relevance to the engineering organization.
A Culture of Safety: The candidate will be responsible for ensuring a healthy, safe, secure and environmentally conscious work environment is maintained at all times and by all staff.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in science or engineering. A Master’s degree is a positive.
- At least 7 years of work experience with 2 years focused on System Modeling or Control Development
- Experience in systems modeling for concept development, simulation of dynamic systems and trade-off analysis is desirable
- Experience with advanced and distributed control systems. Design, develop, test and deployment of new control architectures
- Knowledge in the following subject areas:
- The ability to create detailed mathematical models to express functional dependencies when system elements can be isolated, and their behavior can be well represented by mathematical constructs
- The ability to experiment with numerical computation techniques with a software model of a physical system, or a function or a process
- Familiarity with PLC and SCADA systems, digital signal processing and microcontrollers would be an added asset
- Experience performing analysis with large datasets
- Experience with the following is a significant asset:
- Coding Languages: Python, R, MATLAB Simulink, SQL, etc.
- Analytics & visualization tools (Tableau, ggplot/matplotlib or equivalent)
Desired Personality Traits and Abilities
- Excels in “grey areas” with the ability to take ambiguous stakeholder challenges and establish an actionable project execution strategy that satisfies their needs
- Strong collaborative and interpersonal skills with the ability to manage complex stakeholder relationships
- Enthusiastic individual with a continuous improvement mindset that has a willingness to contribute to and enhance the culture and our ways of working at STW
- Ability and drive to deliver on time, while working in a semi-autonomous environment
- Willingness to travel up to 20% domestically and internationally
TechWorks is invested in maintaining its inclusive, fun, and close-knit culture. We provide generous training and development opportunities for employees, in addition to compensation, benefits, and vacation. Every day we work to provide an environment where all employees feel valued and included, able to nurture their talent as individuals and as part of a collaborative team.
A diverse and inclusive workplace, embedded in our principles of honesty, integrity and respect, brings together remarkable people and enables them to be themselves. At Shell, you will be able to apply and develop your skills and knowledge as part of a collaborative team that is helping to innovate and play a part in building a better energy future.
This role is based in a vibrant office environment located in the Northwest corner of MIT’s campus, close to Kendall Square in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
Please apply directly to the position at http://shelltechworks.mytribehr.com/careers by submitting a cover letter and resume for consideration.
Job Type: Full-time