Full Job Description
Do you want to work in a cool, young, predominantly female-driven beauty company?
Are you passionate about the beauty industry?
Are you a self-learner who is looking for an amazing opportunity?
If this sounds like you, here's your perfect job!
Sense Studio, the creative agency under Heat Makes Sense, is a full-service, in-house design and production team supporting all product development, marketing, and communications for amika, Eva NYC, and PYT. We are responsible for managing photo/video, print, digital, product/packaging design, visual merchandising and tradeshow projects with special focus on delivering a coherent and consistent visual brand message across any and all productions.
Sense Studio is seeking a photo intern to join our Brooklyn team. This position will work closely with our in-house photographer and creative department to help produce and execute photo and video shoots for our brands amika, Eva-NYC, and PYT. Our studio intern will have hands on experience working with a small team in a photo studio environment.
Sense Studio is an incredibly vibrant and fun workspace where enthusiasm for hair, beauty, and the creative process reign supreme. Our company ethos reflects a hardworking and down to earth mentality that truly shines through in all our staff. Possessing the ability to work hard under pressure in an outstandingly fun environment is key.
Suitable candidates will be available 3-5 days a week. This internship is a paid opportunity.
- Assist the photographer and producer in carrying out photo/video shoots for digital, social media, and print advertising
- Maintain and manage cleanliness of studio and sets including floor and backdrops, equipment, wardrobe/props, and digital
- Support the photographer as photo assistant and digital technician in all aspects to ensure efficiency in shoot production
- Support client and craft services
- Set up and maintain lighting based on directives from the photographer
- Equipment pick up/drop off
- Trouble shoot camera issues as needed
- Keep record of lighting set ups
- Support pre-production, production, and post workflows including prop sourcing, asset organization, and general assistance
- Assist with post production processing (retouching, exporting, resizing)
- Keywording for digital asset management through Webdam
- Photo/art or related bachelor's degree or in the last year of pursuing a degree in photo/art related subjects
- Strong proficiency with Mac OS, Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, Canon cameras, Profoto lighting equipment, and Capture One Pro
- Creative sensibility with an interest in photo/film, haircare, and beauty
- A shared appreciation for our mantra: look good, feel good, do good!
- Creative problem solver
Please feel free to share additional resources when applying - we are interested in seeing your blog, portfolio, Instagram, etc.
So why should you work with us?
Heat Makes Sense, Inc. is a fast-growing hair care/tool manufacturer based out of Williamsburg, Brooklyn, that's been providing fun, performance-driven products and tools to professional stylists and consumers since 2009. Our products are carried by salon professionals and retailers worldwide. You've seen amika in Birchbox, Sephora and in your high-end salon (check amika out: loveamika.com) and you've seen Eva-NYC in Costco, Target and Urban Outfitters (check eva out: eva-nyc.com). We know we owe a lot of our success to our office culture and embracing a family-like work environment.
Unlike most other companies, we create everything in-house. Our product development team takes an idea for a tool or shampoo and tests a bunch of different versions (employee participation encouraged!). Next, it goes to our design team to create our unique packaging and marketing materials and then on to operations to get produced. From there, marketing, sales and ecommerce take the reins to get it out into the world. All along the way, we have our executives, accounting and HR/Admin departments to make sure the company itself is running smoothly (we still have hiccups but we're getting there!) No matter what part of the company you work, you have an impact on the company as a whole, which inspires a team mentality.
"Work hard play hard" may be cliché but it's really what we believe in. We have company events throughout the year, big and small: from going to the bar for happy hour to a field trip to Coney Island (we love our home of Brooklyn). We have an amazing rooftop where we BBQ during the summer and we have a Summer Friday event calendar.
Here are some quotes from real employees to tell you about who we are:
OK, are you in yet? Here are some more details:
- "Great products, great ideas, fun environment, great employees, capable and caring management, and endless opportunities for growth and development."
- "A warm and encouraging atmosphere."
- "Relationships between co-workers are extremely important here, which makes the overall experience of going to work very pleasant."
- "Hard work is recognized."
- "I feel lucky to be a part of a brand that is on an upward path—it is a very exciting time."
- "Lots of fun events where you spend time and get to know coworkers outside the office, overall my team felt like a family, and that's rare in the workplace."
- "Super supportive management that really lets you have a voice and listens to your input and ideas."
- "What I like most about the company is the encouragements to grow your career. All of the brand presidents and most other people in leadership roles were here from the beginning and moved up to where they are now. Its inspiring and exciting - the company is truly serious about empowering and elevating people's careers."
- Location: Brooklyn, NY 11206
- Type of Employment: Internship
Ready to apply?
Please click the link that will bring you to our careers page through Greenhouse. Submit a cover letter describing yourself and why you'd be the perfect fit along with your resume.