This is a full time position. SUMMARY. Harris Teeter will provide training to all associates who have extensive customer contact. If a customer wishes to make a specific comment or complaint that you cannot resolve, direct that person to department management or the manager-on-duty for appropriate action. Remember that all contacts with the public in person, over the telephone, and through any communication reflect not only on an individual associate but on Harris Teeter as a whole. Positive customer relations will not only enhance the public's image of Harris Teeter, but also pay off in greater customer loyalty and increased sales and profit.
Primary responsibility is to Take Excellent Care Of Our Customers by satisfying each customer’s needs, exceeding their expectations, and making every shopping visit a pleasant and satisfying experience. Is responsible for nearly every aspect of the Personal Shopper program, from downloading internet orders to loading customer vehicles During down times, the Order Selector also performs the duties of bagger and/or cashier.
Customers are among Harris Teeter’s most valuable assets. Every associate represents Harris Teeter to our customers and the public. The way associates perform their jobs presents an image of the entire Company. Customers judge Harris Teeter by how they are treated each time they have contact with an associate. Therefore, one of the top business priorities is to assist any customer or potential customer. Nothing is more important than being courteous, friendly, helpful, and prompt in the attention given to customers.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Customer Service
- Your job performance is required to demonstrate the highest level of customer service. Never be rude to a
customer under any circumstance.
- Follow through on customer requests. If you cannot say “yes” to a customer’s request, contact the manager-on- duty.
- Your full focus is required to be on the customer and bagging their order. You are required to:
- Make eye contact with and smile at every customer.
- Speak to customers in a genuine, clear, and enthusiastic manner.
- Greet every customer and accompanying family members [especially children].
- Always tell customer “thank you for shopping with us today!”
- Maintain adequate work area; Download internet orders; Shop internet orders following all policies and procedures; Operate Point of Sale Register; Bag orders per policy; Stage orders; Load grocery orders; Complete all required paper work; Communicate with customers; Communicate with store associates and Corporate Office.
- Reflect an appropriate business image to customers and visitors. How you dress, your grooming and personal cleanliness standards all contribute to that image and also to the morale of your fellow associates. During business hours or whenever representing Harris Teeter, you are expected to present a clean, neat, and tasteful appearance. You are required to always dress and groom yourself according to our Company policy that reflects accepted conservative norms.
- Be reliable and punctual by reporting for work on time and as scheduled. When you are absent or late, it places a burden on other associates and can impact productivity and service. In the rare instances when you cannot avoid being late or are unable to work as scheduled, notify your supervisor or Manager-on-duty two (2) hours in advance of your scheduled start time so that appropriate arrangements can be made.
- Communicate in English with customers and fellow associates regarding requests, current sales promotions, marketing campaigns, and essential products. When a customer asks where a product is located, take the customer to the product.
- Inform management of the lack of advertised items, incorrect prices, missing signs, departmental changes, and/or other situations as appropriate.
- Be knowledgeable of and perform fixed activities when business is light. (i.e. sweeping, cleaning, blocking, straightening, etc.)
- Understand the overall Customer Service and Personal Shopper Department operations.
- Adapt to various situations and adjust to shifting priorities. Be flexible and able to perform multiple tasks without showing signs of stress or irritability.
- Balance taking direction with taking initiative and demonstrate the flexibility required to accomplish the duties of the entire shift.
- Provide assistance to fellow associates to complete their daily tasks and other duties as assigned.
- Keep Our Stores Clean. Comply with Health Department requirements and follow Harris Teeter sanitation procedures. Clean restrooms and other areas as directed.
- Follow all safety regulations and help keep the store free of dangerous situations. Immediately inform store management of all accidents and/or safety hazards. Record accidents and safety hazards in the designated log.
- Ensure that chemicals are handled, mixed, and applied according to directions and in compliance to the Hazard
Communication Program Manual.
- Establish a working and shopping environment of trust, respect, and integrity.
- Take Excellent Care Of Your Fellow Associates. Be a team player. Support and assist your fellow associates without complaint. Be open to new ideas and opportunities. Follow through with any special requests or recommendations from management.
- Comply with Company standards, policies, and procedures. Perform essential job functions throughout scheduled hours.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Associates must be at least 18 years of age.
PERSONAL SKILLS Excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Willingness to participate in and successfully complete required training and to work with the team to increase customer satisfaction and sales.
LANGUAGE SKILLS. Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos [in English]. Ability to write simple correspondence [in English]. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other associates of the organization who only speak English.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to calculate a discount % amount. Ability to perform these operations using units of American currency.
REASONING ABILITY Ability to apply commonsense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS Valid Driver's License. Must be bondable. Complete Company’s training including but not limited to: new hire orientation, customer service network, safety, bagger technical skills, cashier technical skills, and product knowledge.
Frequently - near constant work
Up to 25 lbs
Intermittently - up to several times an hour
Up to 50 lbs
Occasionally - up to several times a shift
Up to 75 lbs
The National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH) has published guidelines for safe lifting. Based on those, Harris Teeter requires our associates to obtain assistance from a second associate ("team lifting") when lifting any case or object weighing 50lbs or greater. Harris Teeter also recognizes that some associates may need to obtain assistance with weights under 50lbs, and encourages team lifts for any weight that an associate feels uncomfortable lifting by themselves.
While performing the duties of this job, the associate is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The associate is occasionally required to climb or balance and stoop, kneel, or crouch. The associate must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, intermittently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds, and reach from 6 to 72 inches. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and depth perception.
WORK ENVIRONMENT. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an individual encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the individual is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and moving mechanical parts. The individual is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and extreme cold. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
COMPETENCIES. To perform the job successfully, an individual are required to demonstrate the following competencies:
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Informs management at least 2 hours before shift begins when going to be late or absent from work.
- Customer Service – Provides exceptional customer service even in difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of Company EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Promotes a harassment-free environment.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds Company values.
Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation - Generates suggestions for improving work; Presents ideas and information in a respectful manner.
- Interpersonal Skills – Is never rude; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Judgement - Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
Motivation - Sets and achieves personal goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence.
- Oral Communication - Speaks English clearly and persuasively in positive, negative, and in emergency or other situations in which individuals must speak a common language to promote safety; Listens and gets clarification; Responds appropriately to questions; Demonstrates group presentation skills; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Writes clearly and informatively in English; Presents numerical data effectively; Able to read and interpret English-written information.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes tasks correctly and on time.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes work activities; Uses time efficiently.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves concerns in a timely manner; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.\
- Teamwork - Balances team and own responsibilities; Is open to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to build knowledge and skills; Shares job knowledge with others.
Location: 735 N St Asaph St, Alexandria, VA 22314, USA
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $12.00 - $14.00 per hour