The Role :
Morning Consult is looking for an energetic, hands-on, and adaptable Controller to lead Morning Consult's growing accounting and financial operations. Specifically, this role will manage accounting processes to support existing business, lead financial reporting for internal and external stakeholders, and develop operations and systems that scale with the company. Additionally, the Controller will also have the opportunity to build and mentor a team of accounting and financial operations professionals.
Ideal candidates will have an entrepreneurial mindset, able to balance execution (with high attention to detail!) on multiple projects and priorities. Experience in both public accounting and rapidly growing, fast-paced startup environments are highly desirable (but not required). As the head of accounting and finance at Morning Consult reporting directly to the COO, this role requires a self-starter who is eager to take initiative and help shape the future direction of accounting and financial operations.
Required Skills / Experience:
- Improve and manage systems and internal controls over financial reporting to ensure the timely and accurate production of financial data and analysis
- Oversee and help run financial operations, including AR/AP, monthly/annual close, taxes, payroll, and the generation of financial statements in accordance with US GAAP reporting standards, with a particular focus on SaaS revenue and ASC 606
- Work directly with internal systems and teams to build scalable accounting automation and reporting
- Collaborate with internal teams, including sales and legal, to support commercial outcomes and inform budgeting
- Serve as point of contact and relationship owner with external stakeholders, including banking and audit partners
- Recruit, manage and mentor a team of highly-skilled, empathetic accounting and financial operational professionals
About Morning Consult:
- Bachelor's Degree (or higher) in Accounting or Finance
- 8+ years of relevant experience in a senior accounting position at a technology or high-growth company
- CPA with Big 4 audit background (preferred)
- The flexibility to balance hands-on tactical execution with strategic decision-making in a fast-moving environment
- Experience building, leading, and growing a team
- Proficient with NetSuite (or comparable ERP)
- Willing to take feedback, learn and grow; an ethos of continuous self-improvement
Named one of the fastest growing technology companies in North America by Deloitte, Morning Consult is revolutionizing ways to collect, organize, and share survey research data to transform how global leaders in business and government make decisions.
With offices in New York, San Francisco, Chicago, and Washington D.C., Morning Consult provides research, news, and brand-tracking technology for over 200 of the world's biggest companies and industry associations. Additionally, Morning Consult conducts regular surveys for major media organizations including POLITICO, The Hollywood Reporter, Bloomberg, and The New York Times.
We are committed to a work environment that is inclusive to all and free of discrimination. It is our policy to be an equal opportunity employer without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, ability, citizenship status or any other factors prohibited by law. Morning Consult will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals. If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com. ( firstname.lastname@example.org )