The Key Account Manager (KAM) is responsible for the successful promotion of approved products and helping define the Company as a leader within the ophthalmology community. This is done through development, cultivation and maintenance of long-term relationships with ophthalmic surgeons and all relevant personnel at ambulatory surgery center accounts. The KAM works on executing both clinical training of the product as well as understanding and assisting accounts with the reimbursement process to position products for rapid uptake. To accomplish this, successful performance will involve facilitating patient and provider access of product, and require the ability to help accounts understand and manage local payer reimbursement policies.
This role requires interaction with a variety of customers including; physicians (primarily surgeons), nurses, billing staff, administrators, financial personnel, i.e., any relevant stakeholder within ASCs and hospital outpatient departments. The KAM works with his/her assigned Area Sales Director and Reimbursement Manager to develop a local strategy and business plan that maximizes the opportunity across the assigned territory.
- Achieve territory sales by executing Plan of Action (POA) marketing strategies, which includes delivering branded sales messages, executing planned programs such as in-surgery training, scheduling and following-up with medical educational programs, and supporting accounts with their reimbursement and market access needs.
- Develop product and disease state knowledge and effectively educate and engage healthcare professionals in dialogue about clinical evidence, product efficacy and safety profiles to support on-label prescribing.
- Conduct in-surgery training sessions to ensure accounts use the product as directed.
- Develop and maintain in-depth knowledge of market, demographic, and market access-related information relative to assigned sales territory
- Assist providers with reimbursement issues within core classes of trade, primarily Medicare Part B, Medicare Advantage, and Commercial Managed Care (Regional Plans)
oAlso Medicaid (Fee for Service, Managed Care Organizations), Veteran’s Administration (VISNs), TRICARE Regional Offices, Specialty Pharmacy & Pharmacy Benefit Managers, ACOs and other Integrated Delivery Networks (IDNs), Advocacy, consumer, provider and treatment systems
Key Working relationships:
- Set-up and execute speaker programs, and manage promotional budget for such programs
- Attend local/regional meetings to the extent target physicians are to be in attendance.
- Fully comply with all laws and regulations and all Company privacy and data guidelines, relevant state and federal laws and regulations and terms and conditions prescribed in the Sample Administration Agreements and PDMA Guidelines.
- Must be able to drive to customer offices and surgery centers within the assigned territory, and hold a valid driver’s license.
- Must be able to travel for work-related meetings and functions (including overnight and/or weekend).
- Report to Regional (Account) Director
- Work with Reimbursement Manager(s) as needed
- Patient-access services (hub)
- Medical Affairs
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience selling in pharmaceutical or medical field with experience in at least one or more of the following areas:
- Ophthalmology and/or Biologic product(s)- injectable biologic product experience highly preferred
- Buy & bill products
- Surgical products
- Proficiency in reimbursement-related matters and willingness to handle them at the account level
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with situations requiring total account call, focused on hospitals or ambulatory surgery centers as well as office sites of care
- Experience with provider site reimbursement interactions (could include practice management, or practice billing and revenue cycle)
- Experience working with a reimbursement support hub
- Experience working with specialty pharmacies
- Practice Management experience
- Launch experience
Key Performance Competencies:
- A demonstrated top performer with supporting documentation
- Solid understanding of ophthalmology market with strong relationships with surgeons
- Technical knowledge of health care reimbursement from a patient and provider perspective (miscellaneous J codes, billing coding, appeals process)
- Knowledge of the buy-and-bill process
- Knowledge of private payer Medicare and Medicaid structure systems and reimbursement process
- Demonstrated teamwork abilities with high emotional intelligence in managing multiple business initiatives and cross-functional relationships
- Self-motivated with strong organizational and planning skills, attention to detail and accuracy
- Interpersonal savvy
- Customer focus
- Business acumen, planning and organization
- Driving for results