Critical qualifications, skills, experience:
At least five (5) years of industrial automation experience.
- Minimum three (3) years of related project handling/coordination experience and process documentation (for example, functional requirements, control design, instrumentation design, etc.)
- University or higher vocational degree and certification in Control Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Software Engineering or related discipline is preferred.
PLC: Siemens, TIA Portal, ladder logic, ST, FBD, SFC.
CMS/HMI: SCADA, WinCC
Platforms, Networking and protocol (TCP/IP, Profibus, ProfiNET, ASI, CAN-Bus)
Hardware and Instrumentation design
Continuous Improvement/LEAN/Six Sigma experience
- Able to build strong working relationships with stakeholders. Must possess empathy, personal tact, cultural understanding and well developed communication skills (cross functional as well as on different levels)
- Ability to provide leadership, obtain cooperation and assistance to meet objectives. Ability to produce high-quality work under pressure (time and resources), and to apply analytical thinking and creative problem solving to daily tasks. Must be well-organized, punctual and persistent (personal discipline) with strong internal client service skills.
Act as the owner of the Automation components (PLC, Remote I/O, Sensors, VFD, HMIs) that make up the automated terminal operation.
Review and understand control system design and process requirements to develop software functional specifications for optimization/continuous improvement projects.
System integration, software test planning, testing and commissioning.
Interface with Project, Ops, and M&R to troubleshoot operational incidents, develop requirements, and support documentation and procedure generation efforts.
Interface with mechanics and provide guidance for hardware fixes
Ensure proper integration of vendor engineering solutions into the overall terminal engineering documentation.
Implementation and Management of automation changes in an operating facility.
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed both indoors and outdoors.
General office setting, typically the employee may sit comfortably to perform the work, usually at a computer terminal – with short breaks or lunch period. However, there may be some bending/stooping, reaching above shoulder level, walking; standing; carrying of light items such as papers, books or packages of up to 25 pounds. Should be able to hear & speak clearly using phone / headset to communicate with customers; be able to navigate, view & enter information on the computer. May need to travel across the US and occasionally overseas.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will have to withstand exposure to outdoor/adverse working conditions. The employee is regularly exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee may be exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; extreme heat and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is occasionally noisy.
Nature and scope:
- Reports directly to Project Interface Manager
- This position has no direct reports, however they may have multiple contractors and 3rd party vendors to monitor and supervise
- This position works with both internal and external stakeholders
- This is a domestic position based in Los Angeles, CA, USA
Job Type: Full Time
Salary: $100,000 to $140,000
Benefits: Full time employees are eligible for Health Insurance, Paid Time Off, and 401k Match
The above stated pay range is the anticipated starting salary range for this position. The Company may adjust this range in light of prevailing market conditions and other factors such as location. The Company will work directly with the selected candidate(s) on the final starting salary in accordance with all applicable laws.
Notice to applicants who are applying to positions in the United States
APM Terminals is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities who are applying for positions in the U.S. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. If you are interested in applying for employment with APM Terminals in the U.S. and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, or if you need a reasonable accommodation to perform a job, please contact the applicable Human Resources Department by emailing
. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis pursuant to an interactive dialogue between the applicant and the Company.