The Interstate Family of Companies encompasses five distinct companies that provide global transportation, supply chain logistics and relocation management solutions to individuals, corporations and government agencies. At Interstate we offer a strong benefits package, competitive salaries and opportunities for growth and development.
We are seeking an International Operations Agent for a Full-Time opportunity located in our Springfield, VA office.
The successful candidate will be primarily responsible for managing outgoing international shipments from pickup through delivery, using their good working knowledge of air freight, sea freight, truck services, completing waybills for all modes of transportation, and employing strong customer service skills.
Industry experience is a must!
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Develops effective routing for cargo (ocean and air).
- Processing shipments for export, air and ocean.
- Initiate/confirm bookings.
- Track document distribution with agent.
- Central point of contact for external customers on transportation and logistics questions in conjunction with our import personnel.
- Monitor and communicate market and rate changes to customer.
- Booking shipments with airlines
- Negotiation of spot rates
- Preparing and/or proofreading all associated export documents
- Submitting shipment pre-advices and export documents to overseas agents
- Monitoring departures, shipments in transit, arrivals, clearance and delivery
- Verifying documentation with US and foreign government regulations, export declarations, certificates of origin and related documents
- Providing Proof of Delivery to customers
- 1-3 years quoting rates in an international forwarding environment
- 1-3 years of forwarding experience with NVOCC
- Ability to understand and interpret INCOTERMS
- Pricing and/or foreign agent networks preferred.
- The ability to think creatively in terms of routing
- Ability to effectively communicate with a variety of contacts, vendors, and departments required (internal and external customers).
- Working knowledge of airline routes
- Knowledge of international rules
- Knowledge of carrier strengths and capabilities
- Strong math skills.
- Strong computer/tech skills (Excel, Office, proprietary databases).
Education and Experience
- College degree or equivalent preferred.
Interstate provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.