CONFIDENTIAL POSITION SPECIFICATION
POSITION: Director of Development
ORGANIZATION: The SF Market
LOCATION: San Francisco, California
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: The Director of Development will report to the General Manager/Executive Director.
As San Francisco’s original – and only – wholesale produce market, The SF Market is creating a thriving and sustainable food center that delivers unique value to their customers while giving back to the community and neighborhood.
Their mission is to link the produce and food communities of San Francisco and beyond, by successfully developing and operating the Market. They operate as a non-profit social enterprise, collaborating with the City of San Francisco, their Merchants and the Bayview-Hunters Point neighborhood to curate the area’s widest selection of local, organic, ethnic and conventional produce and to responsibly develop the Market.
The SF Market is a historic legacy business, at its current location since 1963. The Market recently transitioned in 2013 to a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization and is investing in the future by continuing to upgrade our 485,000 square feet of warehouse and logistics space and
increasing the impact of their programs, which include creating jobs, supporting local farmers and expanding our food recovery program.
Reporting to the General Manager/Executive Director, the newly created Director of Development will work closely with the Board of Directors and Leadership team at The SF Market. The Director of Development will play a role in creating and executing an effective and robust development program, and supporting their future growth as they begin the next phase of capital expansion with their long-term Reinvestment project. Key metrics for success will include funder engagement (number of personal meetings with prospects, funders and volunteers; and portfolio development) and revenue (value of unrestricted, restricted and campaign gifts); number of solicitations; and success rate of solicitations. Such metrics will be developed in concert with the General Manager/Executive Director.
The SF Market’s current financial model is built on a strong earned revenue component that will support the multi-phase, multi-year $100 million reinvestment project. They anticipate that this capital raise will initially focus on federal grant opportunities and foundation giving, not on an individual giving program.
They are seeking a creative and motivated candidate with a strong drive to create a successful development program and show funding results. The ideal candidate will bring five or more years of professional experience in starting and/or managing a development program, or equivalent relevant experience in areas such as community, workforce or economic development, and affordable housing.
SCOPE AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Director of Development will be responsible for the following areas:
· Develop and implement the organization’s philanthropic strategies and tactics to advance The SF Market’s strategic vision, plan, and programmatic objectives.
· Work directly with the organization’s staff and the board members for the identification, cultivation and stewardship of new funder prospects and collaborate with the Executive Director and the Board of Directors to ensure excellence in the cultivation and stewardship of existing major funders.
· Ensure that all aspects of the development program run efficiently and effectively.
· Work closely with volunteers and key staff to meet, if not surpass, revenue expectations. Work hand-in-hand with a highly engaged Executive Director on cultivation and solicitation of funders.
· Develop and monitor ambitious, comprehensive and actionable development plan, including strategy and campaigns that incorporate corporate relations and foundation support, and eventually an individual giving program.
· Identify partnership and funding opportunities and promote relationship building among The SF Market and other organizations, funders, agencies and/or individuals. Requires cultivating and maintaining several external relationships representing The SF Market in fund-related meetings and gatherings.
· Research grant opportunities in response to foundation and government announcements and develop grant applications, and reports through collaborative writing and editing. Responsible for hands-on grant research and writing and/or manage grant writing consultants.
· Working with the Leadership team, develop and direct the SF Market communications strategy and manage a Communication & Social Media Associate and oversee funder-related communications.
· Works closely with Program Manager to craft and track impact metrics for development and communication needs.
· Prepare Annual Report, quarterly progress reports for executive team and Board.
· Provide input to management regarding effectiveness of the fundraising activities.
· Oversee funding consultants and their work.
· Achieve a minimum goal of $250,000 in revenue for the first year.
· Create and execute an annual fundraising plan.
· Grow strategies to increase support from corporations, foundations, government support and attract new sponsors.
· Direct the giving strategies and execution for fund raising events and funder appreciation events.
· Prepare and support the General Manager/Executive Director with effective communication with all development stakeholders.
· Facilitate the Board Development Committee meetings.
· Serve as an articulate, enthusiastic, and visible spokesperson for the organization to effectively communicate the organizations’ major fundraising goals and create a strong institutional culture of philanthropy.
· Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual reporting on pipeline, successes, failures, and major initiatives.
· Any other related duties as required or requested.
· Eight to 10 plus years of significant nonprofit fundraising in an organization that has a reputation for strategic thinking, organizational excellence and aggressive action.
· Three to five years of development management experience, preferably as a Chief Development Officer, Vice President of Development or Director of Development at another organization.
· Five plus years of experience in funder cultivation and solicitation. Proven track record of building funder relationships and closing gifts in the five and six-figure range, as well as the ability to solicit and close large gifts.
· Proven track record of consistent sustainable revenue growth from foundations, government grants and corporate donations.
· Organized and flexible, with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
· A strong desire to forge and maintain long-term relationships, with team members, board members, funders, and supporters.
· Proven abilities in working with a diverse Board of Directors – particularly in strategic planning, fundraising, board development, board committees, etc.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
· Ability to prioritize, follow through and complete tasks.
·Ability to persuade and motivate others, and to gain the respect and attention of the Board leadership and influential volunteers.
· Experience in working with active volunteers is a plus.
· Experience with accomplishments in business, public sector or nonprofit philanthropy.
· Background in the field of real estate, food systems and/or public/private partnerships a plus.
· Ability to work flexible hours including some early mornings, evenings and weekends.
· Comfortable working with individuals from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
The Director of Development should embody the following personal characteristics:
· Sensitivity to and a strong commitment to the mission and vision of The SF Market.
· A demonstrated dedication to, or experience in, the food systems world.
· Proactive, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.
· Ability to connect with diverse audiences.
· Excellent communicator with all people at every level.
· Ability to work well under pressure and adapt easily to changing situations and priorities. Solid judgment and consensus building skills. Flexibility.
· Ability to take leadership of projects and move them forward in the absence of specific direction from others.
· Charisma as a leader and spokesperson.
· Very effective decision maker.
· Visionary and inspiring.
· Strong facilitator and consulting skills.
· Willingness and ability to travel.
· Initiative, creativity, drive and energy.
· Attention to detail.
· Excellent follow through.
· Diplomacy and tact.
· Superb interpersonal skills.
· Tolerance for ambiguity.
· Ability to think analytically.
· Ability to be both strategic and hands-on when necessary.
· High ethical standards. Serve the organization over personal ambition. Exemplary character.
· Values diversity.
EDUCATION: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience is preferred.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: A competitive compensation package will be offered based upon background and experience.
Scott E. Miller
Direct: (415) 613-1354
Scott Miller Executive Search
1231 Francisco Street
San Francisco, CA94123
The SF Market is committed to providing equal employment opportunity to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to their race, color, religious creed, sex, gender identity, gender expression, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, height and weight, or other personal characteristics as may be protected by applicable law. All inquiries are held in strict confidence.
Job Type: Full-time