Facebook's mission is to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together. Through our family of apps and services, we're building a different kind of company that connects billions of people around the world, gives them ways to share what matters most to them, and helps bring people closer together. Whether we're creating new products or helping a small business expand its reach, people at Facebook are builders at heart. Our global teams are constantly iterating, solving problems, and working together to empower people around the world to build community and connect in meaningful ways. Together, we can help people build stronger communities — we're just getting started.
Facebook is looking for an Inside Plant and Design Support Engineer to join the Edge and Network Services team. This team is responsible for deploying and supporting one of the world’s largest and complex networks. As a member of this team, you will have a unique opportunity to be involved in all aspects of networking at Facebook. Responsibilities will include the design, execution on capacity planning of all physical infrastructure globally which includes space, power, cabling and other infrastructure within external POP and ILA facilities.
Manage global space, power, cabling and other infrastructure requirement in support of edge network requirements, present and future.
- Provide a multi-year plan (2 year) on space/power/cabling etc. requirement to meet the forecasted/trended demand.
- Layout of edge site floorplans, allocate space assigned to network function, optical, backbone, IP, compute, etc.
- Build capacity reporting to analyze long term trends and industry direction to forecast and budget for future growth. Monitor capacity thresholds and initiate proactive builds to expand inventory aligned with edge and backbone deployment forecasts.
- Provide input and interact with other teams on space/power requirement, deployment projects, and other major initiatives that affect capacity.
- 10% of travel required.
Knowledge of engineering principles of the infrastructure architecture (space line up, air flow, cooling etc.)
- Knowledge of Data Center, Collocations and Remote Hut environments, to include engineering principles regarding power and other infrastructure
- Experience with optical network design, installation and maintenance for service providers or enterprise networks
- Experience with field-based work in POPs, carrier hotels, data centers and Central Office environments
- Technical knowledge of various regional Data Center electrical and cooling configurations, IEC, NEMA standards, AC/DC power, power redundancy scenarios
- Knowledge of optical theory, transport technologies and the operation of optical transport systems
- Analytical, interpersonal, and communications experience
- Hands-on experience with basic optical communication equipment including optical amplifiers, coherent transponders and other WDM equipment
- Experience with communication and directing tasks with carriers remotely
- Demonstrated experience analyzing situations and utilizing troubleshooting experience, systems and tools, and problem solving
- Experience working with limited supervision
- Time management and organizational experience
- Experience working in a global team environment
- Ability to lift/move 30-40 lbs. on a daily basis