Organization: Hershey Trust Company
Date Posted: 12/20/18
Country: United States
Primary Category: Financial Officer
Type of Position: Full-Time
Education Requirement: Bachelor's, CPA
Experience Requirement: 10+ years
Description & Details (some duties, such as supervision of IT and other administrative functions are subject to change)
About Hershey Trust Company: Hershey Trust Company serves as Trustee of the Milton Hershey School Trust and the M.S. Hershey Foundation, and manages the investments of those trusts. Milton Hershey School Trust is the controlling stockholder in The Hershey Company, and was founded to endow in perpetuity an institution known as Milton Hershey School.
Position Title: VP, Finance
Location: Hershey, PA
Reports To: CEO
Direct Reports: 5
The Vice President, Finance will be a strategic thought partner and valued member of senior management team responsible for oversight of key internal business functions including finance, planning, information management and technology, and office administration. The Vice President, Finance will uphold a standard of excellence in business practices and systems with a strong focus on maintaining the current high standard for accuracy and data integrity and regulatory compliance while seeking continuous improvements in automation and digitization. As a result of its unique organizational structure, Hershey Trust Company is subject to oversight by several regulatory bodies including the Office of the Attorney General, the Dauphin County Orphan’s Court and the Pennsylvania Department of Banking. The Vice President, Finance will serve as the primary liaison with the Department of Banking and will work with Hershey Trust Company’s General Counsel with regard to financial filings with the Orphan’s Court or Office of the Attorney General.
As a member of the Senior Officer’s Committee (SOC), the Vice President, Finance will play a significant role in the ongoing management and direction of the organization’s operations.
Specific responsibilities include:
· Responsible for all finance and accounting functions including: preparation of financial statements; monitoring variances to budget; leading the annual audit process; overseeing the tax filings, SEC and other regulatory filings, accounting support and control functions for all aspects of the organization’s business, including payroll, procurement and investment transaction processing.
· Oversee daily cash processing functions.
· May oversee key operations and business functions including Information Management and Technology, to ensure a working environment that is strategically focused, efficient, secure, and conducive to performance excellence. This includes oversight of business continuity and disaster recovery planning and testing.
· Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process in conjunction with other department heads; monitor progress and changes and keep senior leadership apprised of the organization's financial status; conduct longer-range financial planning. Develop and implement policies, procedures, and all necessary controls to manage and mitigate operational and financial risk, including oversight of Enterprise Risk Management review and risk assessments.
· Maintain the integrity of asset valuation, cash processing and accounting for all investment transactions.
· May provide independent oversight of investment performance and provide reports to the appropriate Board Committee.
· Maintain and analyze the general ledger, prepare monthly financial statements and manage organizational cash flow and forecasting.
· Oversee vendor management and review of critical vendors.
· Update and improve all applicable business and accounting policies, in accordance with best practices.
· Work closely and transparently with all financial, banking, legal and insurance institutions serving the organization.
· Work closely with other Hershey entities to facilitate strong collaborations and synergies as well as to ensure consistency where appropriate, including regulatory issues related to Control Group status.
· Responsible for compliance with all federal, state, and local regulations and laws and with standard accounting principles, including those that apply to investment matters, non-profit institutions and Hershey Trust Company’s status as state-regulated bank with trust powers (no commercial banking).
· Working with counsel, oversee preparation and timely submission of court accountings in collaboration with Hershey Trust Company’s General Counsel, and any other accountings or documentation as required or requested by Office of the Attorney General of Pennsylvania or the Orphan’s Court of Dauphin County, Pennsylvania as well as other reporting as required by the Deed of Trust.
· Liaise with the organizations’ tax advisors and the IRS. Responsible for adherence to IRS and other government regulations, informing the Board and staff of the impact of changes to those regulations.
· Oversight of financial aspects of human resources and benefits such as 401k testing, actuarial analysis of pension and post-retirement, Form 5500 and other filings.
· Serve as BSA/AML/OFAC Compliance Officer for organization, performing annual risk assessment, conducting training and implementing policies and procedures consistent with banking regulation requirements
· Coordinate Board Audit Committee agenda, serve as primary staff to the Hershey Trust Company Audit Committee, and participate in Board (and committee) meetings as requested
Qualifications & Experience
The ideal candidate will possess the following experience and requirements:
· At least ten years of experience in a leadership role, working with senior-level management team, and related finance and operations experience.
· Undergraduate accounting or finance degree and current/active CPA certification or equivalent combination of education and experience. Auditing background preferred.
· Experience working for a Foundation and/or non-profit. Experience in a banking or similar regulatory environment will be helpful.
· Deep expertise in finance, accounting, compliance and control functions. Experience in vendor management and other operating functions.
· Understanding of IRS regulations related to Foundations, philanthropic practices, and non-profit law.
· High level of personal initiative and ability to supervise, proactively lead, coach and motivate professional staff.
· Experience working with a board of directors a plus.
· Ability to research, establish and tightly manage relationships with finance and accounting firms, contractors, equipment suppliers, insurance brokers and other vendors, including contract review and negotiations.
· Demonstrated track record of improving business practices, streamlining workflow, increasing automation, improving control functions, and controlling costs.
· Demonstrated ability to deal with highly confidential information and act as a liaison to the Board, senior management, and internal and external constituents.
· Personal qualities of honesty, integrity, credibility, poise, diplomacy, tact, dependability and dedication to the missions of the Milton Hershey School Trust and M.S. Hershey Foundation.
· Strategic thinking and vision.
· Excellent organization, prioritization, judgment, time management and project management skills.
· Ability to quickly understand information, analyze data, synthesize findings, and make thoughtful recommendations; demonstrated ability to learn and master new issues quickly; proven good judgment with the ability to make prudent decisions based upon available data.
·Goal orientation, strong work ethic and ownership. Ability to handle multiple priorities, deadlines, and challenging situations while maintaining composure.
· Flexible and quick to adapt to changing environments. Able to identify new approaches to support a dynamic organization. Capable and willing to do work at all levels, from thinking strategically to performing day-to-day activities.
· Team-oriented with strong management and interpersonal skills; demonstrated ability to collaborate with and achieve actionable results through others while building strong and sustainable relationships within all levels of the organization and with external constituents.
· Strong research, analysis, and communications skills including the ability to communicate technical concepts to technical and non-technical audiences and present critical financial matters to the senior management team and Board.
Hershey Trust Company is an equal opportunity employer and considers applications without regard to race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, marital status or sexual orientation. All who believe they meet the stated qualifications are invited to apply.
Job Type: Full-time