The Credit Analyst will use their essential analytical and management skills to independently and objectively evaluate the creditworthiness of current and prospective commercial borrowers as well as external Bank vendors, and perform various administrative duties and projects to support the Bank’s ongoing credit and risk administrative functions. The qualified candidate must have strong writing skills and possess prior accounting, financial analysis or a commercial lending credit analysis background. Additionally, the ideal candidate should be naturally inquisitive with problem-solving mindset, be flexible and able to adapt to frequently changing priorities, have a positive attitude and ability to complete work within the required, often fast-moving timelines. Good organizational skills and ability to multi-task are essential. The position requires the capacity to provide oversight of more junior credit analysts and interns as well as help manage the credit pipeline.
Responsibilities, Duties, and Accountabilities:
Administrative, Supervision, Training Responsibilities:
- Prepare timely and insightful credit analysis applications for a diverse, high complexity and sophisticated portfolio of commercial & industrial, commercial real estate and private banking / professional services commercial loan customers. Loan size may range from $500,000 for more straight forward lines of credit to $35 million for more complex credits.
- Conduct independent and objective annual reviews of existing loans as well as scheduled and unscheduled loan reviews of the existing portfolio.
- Review approval conditions vis-a-vis the loan documentations for existing loans to ensure integrity of the credit process.
- Assist in updating the Bank’s Loan Policy.
- Create thorough and concise analyses of the risks and mitigates of pending commercial loan requests by reviewing and analyzing the borrowers’ financial statements, including but not limited to income statements, cash flow statements, balance sheets, tax returns, personal financial statements, real estate and C&I collateral appraisal reports, and environmental assessment reports.
- Prepare sensitivity analyses, pro forma cash flows, and assessments of collateral and guarantor financial condition.
- Conduct analysis of the market (customers) and industry (competition, suppliers, substitutes, and potential new entrants) and management teams and/or deal sponsors.
- Evaluate and opine on appraisals and environmental reports as part of the underwriting analysis.
- Accurately assess the financial position of commercial clients to support the Bank’s credit decisions on credit exposure of varying size, up to its lending limits. This includes providing independent recommendations to credit and lending management on whether to approve or renew loans, modify terms of existing loans, maintain or change risk ratings of existing loans, and otherwise suggesting the appropriate credit action.
- Assist in the discussions of risk elements at Management Loan Committees and Directors’ Loan Committees.
- Manage the workflow and credit analysis pipeline, with oversight and input by the Senior Credit Officer.
- Support Senior Credit Officer in daily mentoring, coaching and oversight of Interns, Junior Credit Analysts and Credit Analysts to ensure high quality underwriting that is consistent with Loan Policy and other guidelines.
- Review and assess credit analysis by other credit analysts.
- Assist in the basic credit training of Junior Credit Analysts, Interns and DRIVE Associates.
- On occasion, assist in the discussions of risk elements at Management Loan Committees and Directors’ Loan Committees.
- Conduct financial analysis of and make recommendations on the suitability of the Bank’s vendors.
- Capture minutes and perform various administration duties for the Management Loan Committees and Directors’ Loan Committees. Interact with senior committee members and the Bank’s Directors in managing the process.
- Actively participate in ongoing training and development through a combination of the Bank’s formal credit training curriculum, self-study, and self-development.
- Assist with special projects and reporting assignments in Credit Administration.
- Stay current on banking regulations and audit, regulatory and compliance requirements.
- The Credit Analyst III conducts the most complex analyses and sophisticated credits.
Risk Assessment Level:
- The Credit Analyst III will train/coach less experienced analysts and interns, provide a daily advisory role and peer review of CAM’s produced by other analysts and help the manage the pipeline.
- The Credit Analyst III will work on large size loans ($500M-$35MM)
- College degree preferred; MBA or other similar advance degree or coursework is a plus.
- 3-5+ years of relevant experience, strong preference for direct credit analysis experience in a commercial lending environment.
- Strong financial modeling skills are required.
- The successful completion of a formal credit / financial analyst training program is strongly preferred.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc.) and financial statement spreading software is required.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER