Mission Concept: “Support Our Red Cross Teams”
Fall 2020 Unpaid Internships
The content of this listing is in accordance with all applicable employment laws. While this is an unpaid internship, we offer College or University credit. Preference is given to those with an academic requirement for an internship.
- Eligibility: You must be enrolled in an Undergraduate or Graduate degree program at the time of the internship.
- Preferred Majors: Urban Planning, Emergency Management, Public Policy and Administration, Nonprofit Management, Psychology, Sociology, Homeland Security, Criminal Justice, or related majors.
- Preferred Grade Levels: Undergraduate Junior, Undergraduate Senior, and Graduate level.
- Duration: Our unpaid Fall 2020 Internship Program typically runs for a specified 10-week duration beginning on Tuesday, September 8th, and concluding Friday, November 13th. This is a part-time position, 10+ hours per week.
- This position will be a hybrid of virtual and in-person work, COVID-19 permitting.
About the Mission Concept
The American Red Cross prevents and alleviates human suffering in the face of emergencies by mobilizing the power of volunteers and the generosity of donors.
This Mission Concept is for students who are reliable and very detail-oriented. You want to work behind-the-scenes using your administrative superpowers to help the Red Cross stay organized and keep its services running smoothly and efficiently.
Because the American Red Cross Greater New York Region has multiple internship opportunities we've grouped them by "Mission Concepts," which is a work area that will allow you to narrow your interest to make it easier to select your ideal internship. If this Mission Concept fits your educational and career goals, view all the internship opportunities below.
Intern, Emergency Communication Center Operator – You’ll be supporting the Emergency Communication Center Dispatcher for the Greater New York Region, who monitor for active fire-related disasters, in their efforts to train new volunteers. Projects may include:
- Translating the dispatcher training from PowerPoint into a virtual training with on-line modules.
- Developing a training platform and educational curriculum.
- Using your training platform to facilitate sessions with new volunteers.
Our Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate is a mission-focused Undergraduate or Graduate student seeking a meaningful internship experience who has the following qualities:
- No-task-is too-small attitude
What You’ll Learn
In our region, you will enjoy a collaborative work culture committed to the diversity of our people, programs, and services. You’re learning and development will include:
- Organizational Management
- Training and mentoring from subject matter experts
- Volunteer Engagement, Management & Administration
- A deeper awareness of the Humanitarian Mission of the American Red Cross
- Cultivation of Cultural Competence and Inclusion
Being involved in projects critical to the day-to-day work of our non-profit organization, gaining an insider’s perspective on the Red Cross humanitarian mission as well as service delivery at the local and national levels.
- Access to subject matter experts in the fields of Nonprofit Management, Nonprofit Fundraising, Emergency Management, Communications, Social Media, Disaster Relief, and much more.
- Access to our exclusive online database of professional development courses.
- Additional service projects with direct impact in communities within our Greater New York Region.
Job Types: Part-time, Internship
Pay: $0.00 per hour
This position will be a hybrid of virtual and in-person work, COVID-19 permitting.
Hours per week:
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- Achievement-oriented -- enjoys taking on challenges, even if they might fail
- Autonomous/Independent -- enjoys working with little direction
Company's Facebook page:
- Temporarily due to COVID-19