Careers That Change Lives
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
The Director, Transcatheter Mitral Valve Replacement (TMVR) Therapy Development provides clinical, technical and educational expertise to support the safe and effective use of the Intrepid TMVR System during the planned clinical research trials. Individual serves as subject matter and education expert for specified products, procedures and clinical trials, leading the field-based Therapy Development team to support the clinical trial cases, including patient screening, procedural implant and post-implant care. Consult with clinical, R&D, and other procedural experts on the Professional Relations team, functioning as a medical education consultant to both external clinicians and internal Medtronic teams.
Individual will work closely across a broad group of stakeholders to successfully execute role including Health Care Professionals (HCPs), Structural Heart (SH) Senior Leadership, Medical Education, Clinical Research, Physician Relations, Upstream Marketing in collaboration with Product Development, Global Field Training (GFTD), Quality, Regulatory and Legal, as well as with other related Medtronic businesses across all geographies. Individual is an outstanding leader, close collaborator, proven strategic thinker, flawless executer and committed team player, focused on team, patients and market success.
This role can be based anywhere in the U.S.
A Day in the Life
- Develop and lead the TMVR Therapy Development team that provides local clinical trial site management and case clinical support.
- Team will be the most consistent ‘face’ of the TMVR business to the clinical trial sites, applying technical knowledge and scientific research to support safe growth and expansion into these unmet areas.
- Team will provide technical support for all product implants (pre-procedural imaging, 3D reconstruction, patient selection, procedural support, troubleshooting, and other technical support needs as the therapy evolves), consulting with physicians during use and/or implantation of Medtronic TMVR products.
- Team will serve as experts on imaging acquisition, interpretation, 3D reconstruction and the TMVR simulators to facilitate the educational learning process.
- Partner with Medical Education to train physicians and staff on safe and effective use of the Intrepid TMVR system; conduct training programs and participate in on-site follow up.
- Training will include technical/clinical explanation and demonstration of patient selection, product and procedural elements to HCPs involved in the procedure.
- Help assess training needs/requirements, documenting training plans in collaboration with Medical Education and HCP consultants as needed to define objectives, content and deliverables for existing and next generation products.
- Provide input into the required procedural documents (such as guidelines, best practices, processes), patient selection and post-implant care plans – in collaboration with HCPs and cross-functional business teams – to meet safe growth goals and business needs in all global markets.
- Facilitate meetings with HCPs, consultants, and internal stakeholders to optimize procedural outcomes and best practice development.
- Partner with Clinical and Marketing to support trial enrollment activities, understanding individual site needs and supporting the execution of local site initiatives.
- Consult with Core Teams regarding TMVR procedural development and efficiency, patient screening accuracy and therapy indication expansion, providing clinical insights.
- Support procedure development, including implant procedure step by step and peri-procedure imaging recommendations.
- Solicit feedback regarding procedure and product performance and design, serving as conduit for this voice of customer to the TMVR Marketing, Medical Education and Core Teams.
- Partner closely with GFTD to develop and execute training plans for Therapy Development team members to ensure subject matter expertise regarding pre-procedural imaging, 3D reconstruction, patient selection, procedural support, device deployment, troubleshooting, and other technical support needs, as well as partner with the clinical team on the clinical trial execution.
- Partner closely with Marketing, Medical Education and SH Senior Leadership to provide feedback and insights regarding early commercial planning, patient segmentation and referral pathway development, market development, procedural and educational needs, brand development, distribution strategies, etc. to ensure ‘safe growth’ in the early phases of commercialization while creating a differentiated customer-facing organization.
- Gather and communicate inputs from TMVR team and customers regarding market trends, customer satisfaction, competition, product issues, and opportunities as commercial plans are developed.
- Provide exceptional customer support to HCPs in managing requests, linking to the broader TMVR and SH organizations as needed.
- Frequent travel to customers, hospitals, off site meetings and Congresses.
- Assure all programs align with Medtronic Business Conduct Standards and Compliance.
- Keep abreast of trends, leading developments and technology (implement as appropriate).
- Represent the business as a key contact with physician advisors and key opinion leaders.
- Cultivate strong relationships with key cross-functional team members
- Assist in the development and managing of budgets to meet company and business unit objectives.
Responsibilities may include the following and other duties may be assigned.
- Facilitates customized training and education programs for Medical and Academic Professionals on diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, to increase procedural, technology and product adoption to improve patient outcomes.
- Participates in conventions, forums, symposia educational content and scientific education programming meetings for promoting product and procedural awareness.
- Conducts/ Facilitates physician led education and consulting, supports establishment and maintenance of customer relations with clinicians and organizations.
- Bachelors degree required
- Minimum of 10 years of research, training, marketing, and/or therapy development, preferably in structural heart and transcatheter therapies experience with 7+ years of managerial experience, or advanced degree with a minimum of 8 years of experience with 7+ years of managerial experience
- Prior experience in Research, Training, Marketing, and/or Therapy Development in structural heart and transcatheter therapies.
- Medical training and education experience and/or clinical experience
- Procedural exposure to transcatheter heart valves
Nice to Have
- Proven track-record of team leadership and improving organizational effectiveness.
- Able to critically think and problem solve existing challenges
- Strong customer focus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong work ethic in accomplishing all objectives of the position.
- Demonstrated success to work well, develop and maintain relationships across cross functional areas.
- Extreme attention to detail and organization.
- Consistent industry-related track record of success.
- Industry experience, preferably Medtronic experience
- Experience launching new therapies / products globally
- Demonstrated understanding of commercial preparations including market development, economic policy/reimbursement, regulatory, clinical, quality issues and opportunities
Together, we can change healthcare worldwide. At Medtronic, we push the limits of what technology, therapies and services can do to help alleviate pain, restore health and extend life. We challenge ourselves and each other to make tomorrow better than yesterday. It is what makes this an exciting and rewarding place to be.
We want to accelerate and advance our ability to create meaningful innovations - but we will only succeed with the right people on our team. Let’s work together to address universal healthcare needs and improve patients’ lives. Help us shape the future.
Physical Job Requirements
The physical demands described within the Responsibilities section of this job description are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. For Office Roles: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to be independently mobile. The employee is also required to interact with a computer, and communicate with peers and co-workers. Contact your manager or local HR to understand the Work Conditions and Physical requirements that may be specific to each role. (ADA-United States of America)