Founded in 1951, Iron Mountain Incorporated (NYSE: IRM) is the global leader in storage and information management services. Iron Mountain is committed to storing, managing and transforming what our customers value most, from paper records to data to priceless works of art and culture. Providing a full suite of solutions – records and information management, data management, digital solutions, data centers and secure destruction – Iron Mountain enables organizations to lower storage costs, comply with regulations, recover from disaster, and protect their data and assets from a complex world. Visit the company website at www.ironmountain.com for more information.
Iron Mountain enables 94% of the Fortune 1000 to smartly and securely manage their physical and digital information assets. With unmatched innovation and collaboration, our teams create information management solutions for our customers’ data, no matter what format, location or lifecycle stage it’s in and no matter where it’s kept. We are more than 17,000 people strong and growing. We’ve been a trusted records management leader since 1951.
Iron Mountain is an equal opportunity employer, and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, marital status, age, sexual orientation, gender identity characteristics or expression, disability, medical condition, U.S. Military or veteran status or other legally protected classifications in making employment decisions.
Iron Mountain Canada is an employer broadly committed to providing an inclusive work environment that welcomes all people. Globally, we believe it is our diversity that contributes to our companies’ shared success. We work hard always to avoid discriminating on any grounds other than capability to perform the requirements of the job.
Iron Mountain complies with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act and welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
I. Job Summary:
The Safety and Health Specialist will be the primary subject matter expert on all occupational safety and health related matters within assigned area of responsibility. This includes compliance with applicable regulatory and internal standards, the continuous reduction of risk factors leading to workplace injury and illness, and the optimization of safe facility design throughout the assigned area of responsibility. In close collaboration with GSRS, GRE NAO, and IMDC on-site management and related corporate resources, the Specialist will lead and execute projects and initiatives that integrate safety into the day-to-day activities of all Iron Mountain Boyers and Pittsburgh market personnel, tenants and visitors. The goal of this role is to accelerate execution needed to achieve compliance, drive continuous improvement in safety performance, and support the leadership team with all performance-related initiatives associated with safety.
II. Essential Job Functions
- Lead and /or support safety and health optimization initiatives and projects, while providing leadership to and driving behaviors of Management and their teams. Initiatives will include; process safety improvements, engineering control enhancements, safe work practices, safety education and training, emergency evacuation planning, and periodic testing and review of program performance.
- Advance the Iron Mountain safety culture throughout the organization and among the market’s customers/tenants, by supporting the goals and objectives associated with Iron Mountain’s safety strategy. This includes evaluating the effectiveness of various risk management and compliance-related practices designed to improve safety performance.
- Coordinate cross-departmental and cross-functional teams to establish, improve, and sustain the overall systems and processes for integrating safety into daily operations. Provide subject matter expertise in the development of programs and training designed to achieve health and safety performance requirements.
- Provide expertise and technical support to Management during interactions with governmental agencies, and conduct comprehensive risk assessments to identify potential hazards, define operational problems, prioritize and rank exposures, and develop recommendations for appropriate controls, mitigation projects and compliance.
- Monitor developments, trends and legislation related to industry safety and evaluates impact on business operations. Recommend policy and procedural improvements as appropriate.
- Working closely with the Director of Safety, Risk & Security, Director of Boyers Property and Project Management, and the District Manager of the Pittsburgh Market to coordinate emergency preparedness / response protocols and procedures; including evacuation planning and testing, emergency medical response, and mine rescue training.
- Attend relevant industry conferences and professional meetings as part of professional development and benchmarking. Identify innovations / practices / tools / approaches that have potential utility for IM. Serve as subject matter expert and coach to operating leaders across the company and industry
- Develop and maintain strong, positive relationships with all regulatory bodies and other external stakeholders.
II. Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Strong safety management knowledge with demonstrated success instances. Proven ability to produce enduring and effective solutions to business problems. Ability to establish high benchmarks in project management and deliver timely positive results. Highly analytical, action-oriented individual with recognized strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to interact effectively at all levels within Iron Mountain and with external resources and stakeholders.
- Excellent written, oral and formal presentation skills.
- Ability to analyze risk and create solutions for a variety of business issues to include metrics development, target setting, operational performance, execution and measurement.
- Educational/Experiential Requirements
- Position requires a College Degree and a minimum of 5+ years of varied occupational safety and health managerial experience, preferably in both industrial and commercial / office settings.
- Applied knowledge of OSHA, MSHA, PADEP, and EPA regulatory standards.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Associate Safety Professional (ASP) is desirable.