The PR and Communications Specialist at Saint Joseph’s University will support the Director of Public Relations and News and the Editorial Director with reputation-enhancing communication initiatives including media relations and content creation.
Duties and Responsibilities:Primary Responsibilities:
Secondary Responsibilities:Secondary Responsibilities:
- Brainstorm and develop earned media storylines and pitch national, regional, local and trade news media regularly.
- Develop and maintain strong working relationships with reporters locally and nationally within key industry verticals to effectively communicate major University initiatives and news
- Brainstorm, pitch, write, edit and distribute news content (magazine features, news, press releases, media advisories, etc.).
- Develop and maintain local and national media lists.
- Conduct media monitoring, reporting and analysis to support the division including a daily news monitor containing a digest of university and industry news.
- Liaise with media, coordinating requests for interviews with faculty experts, drafting statements in response to media questions and garnering appropriate approvals, escorting crews, sitting in on interviews with experts and conducting necessary follow-up including researching answers to follow-up questions.
Physical Requirements and/or Unusual Work Hours:
- Conduct industry and trend research as requested by directors in the division
- Brainstorm and develop fresh ideas for public relations campaigns and activations.
- Mentor, coach and supervise student employees.
The position may require long periods spent in front of a computer. In addition, weekend and after-hours work are required.
- “Bachelor’s degree in related area and three years of full-time experience in public relations and/or related fields including media or journalism or equivalent combination of experience and education.”
- Strong writing ability across media, from journalistic writing to social media, including solid research and editing skills.
- Demonstrated competencies in public relations and social media tools, including media databases and media coverage/social media analysis software.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, work in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- Demonstrated ability to create relationships with traditional media.
- Experience with Drupal and/or Wordpress.
- Multimedia experience including photography, videography, graphic design, and graphic design.
Position Classification: Professional Union: None Number of direct reports to this position: 0 Department: 180310 - University Communications Band: 12 Date Open to Internal Applicants: 09/21/2018 Date Open to External Applicants: 09/26/2018 Job Close Date: Open Until Filled Yes