CONTRACT STATE AFFAIRS ASSOCIATE – REMOTE
The American Society of Anesthesiologists (ASA) serves more than 53,000 members in the U.S. and around the world. With more than 175 talented employees, our organization places tremendous value on the contributions, expertise, and knowledge that each one brings to our table.
Our Schaumburg, Illinois headquarters is home to member support, education, marketing, and operational functions, while colleagues in Washington D.C. advocate on behalf of patients, physician anesthesiologists and the specialty. Thanks to our positive, supportive work environment, ASA has been named one of Chicago's Best & Brightest Companies to Work For® in addition to one of the Best and Brightest Companies to Work For in the Nation® for three years in a row.
As we continually seek to strengthen the organization, we welcome individuals who are smart, creative, motivated, and agile. If this sounds like you, please consider reaching out!
The State Affairs Associate is responsible for assisting the Director of State Affairs in advancing ASA’s state legislative and regulatory agenda. This will be accomplished by monitoring and analyzing state legislation and regulations and assisting the Director in developing strategies and tactics to support State Component initiatives. The State Affairs Associate will work closely with the State Affairs Manager on a range of matters including scope of practice, truth in advertising, surprise billing and related topics.
This is a contract/temporary position for approximately 5 months (covering a maternity leave).
Primary Position Responsibilities:
- Continuously review, identify, monitor and analyze introduced state legislation and proposed regulations as well as assist in coordinating the department’s response.
- Respond to member and state component society requests regarding state legislation, regulation, and related issues.
- Assist Director of State Affairs and State Affairs Manager in identifying opportunities for proactive legislative and regulatory initiatives.
- Perform 50-state legislative/regulatory reviews of enacted laws / adopted regulations and related research, as needed.
- Advance ASA’s state legislative and regulatory agenda through written communications as well as advocacy materials such as issue summaries/briefs, advocacy toolkits, testimony, and comment letters.
- Develop relationships with the medical community in order to create opportunities for coalition building.
- Work with the Director of State Affairs and State Affairs Manager to develop state policy agenda and strategies.
- Assist in planning the biannual State Issues Forum and other activities related to ASA’s Legislative Conference and Annual Meeting.
- Organize and update the State Advocacy web page.
- Bachelor’s degree required preferably in political science, public policy or related field. Master’s degree or J.D. from an accredited university preferred.
- 3 years of state affairs experience, including state legislative and regulatory processes required. Knowledge of state health care issues necessary.
- Prior analysis of state legislation and regulations required. Scope of practice experience preferred.
- Experience monitoring state legislation and regulations via State Net or similar tracking software, conduct research, preferably utilizing Westlaw.
- Strong legal and legislative research and writing skills.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and other productivity focused tools.
Please follow the link to apply: https://recruiting2.ultipro.com/AME1090ASAN/JobBoard/79dc62ee-25a8-40d7-92fe-8327b8e4afb5/Opportunity/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=2e620ffc-e959-4c4f-a8ce-c32a18197cb5
Job Type: Contract