We are seeking a full-time, immediate, Attorney or Agent to join the patent prosecution team.
We are a fast growing, thriving, mid-sized IP firm that originated in the mid 80s. We are proud to boast a family friendly culture, a casual dress code, and a very convenient commute to those living in the suburbs of Montgomery County. We prefer local candidates, as face time is part of the job, but technologically offer the ability to work from home when desired (we are in the office at the present time). Our ideal candidate has a few years of experience at a high volume firm, and is looking for a quality of life adjustment. At ESF, we celebrate diversity and we are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
We serve a diverse client base, which includes small start-up companies, academic institutions, and Fortune 500 companies having some of the world’s largest IP portfolios. This client base values our knowledge, experience, and commitment to their objectives. While we can certainly port in your book of business, this position is primarily to support the firm’s existing client workload capacity. Training will be provided to understand client expectations.
- Draft patent applications for U.S.-based and some non-U.S.-based companies. Meet in-person or virtually with inventors, discuss the technology, and draft patent applications. Understand a wide range of technologies, or be able to quickly get up to speed on technologies.
- Prosecute patent applications before the USPTO, including conducting examiner interviews, filing responses, appeals, etc.
- Instruct non-U.S.-based law firms in the prosecution of patent applications in various countries outside the U.S.
- Conduct patentability, infringement/clearance and validity studies, and related client counseling and opinion rendering.
- Participate in IPR proceedings at USPTO.
- Communicate with outside counsel in connection with all activities mentioned above.
- Work in a wide range of technologies including wired and wireless networks and devices, wireless communication protocol technologies, media communication systems, network security, optical networks and devices, as well as medical electronic devices, and database systems.
A successful applicant must possess:
- At least 2 years of substantial patent application drafting experience, particularly in the technology areas listed above;
- Registration as a U.S. patent attorney and knowledge of U.S. patent practice and procedures;
- J.D. degree from an accredited law school and a license to practice in at least one U.S. state (unless applying as an agent);
- Excellent academic credentials;
- Strong writing, communication, organizational and analytical skills; and
- Undergraduate focus areas in electrical engineering, physics or computer science.
- Fully paid employee health insurance
- 401k matching
- Health Club Reimbursement
- Firm sponsored LTD/Life
- Employee Assistance Program
- Monthly wellness activities
- Complimentary Parking
- On site café and walking access to Rio Restaurant District
Location: 9801 Washingtonian Blvd.,Suite 750,Gaithersburg,MD
20878, Gaithersburg, MD 20878
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $90,706.64 - $261,555.30 per year
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
Supplemental pay types:
Work Location: One location