To develop and lead the worship music ministry for Trinity Church (a daughter campus of Brentwood UMC), in consultation with the pastor and other team members, in a way that is consistent with Trinity’s vision and theology. In addition, this position is responsible for all technology in the worship space.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are a representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
WEEKLY WORSHIP SERVICE
- Develop and prepare music and other worship art opportunities for weekly modern-style worship in collaboration with Lead Pastor to develop a weekly Order of Worship
- Select and prepare 3-5 songs each week
- Introduce 1-3 new songs each quarter focusing on songs appropriate for congregational singing
- Coordinate music for special services such as Christmas Eve, Good Friday, and Easter Sunday, with Lead Pastor and worship team
- Recruit, lead, schedule, and rehearse Praise Team
- Utilize worship team singers and musicians coaching and mentoring them as needed
- Lead warm-up rehearsal on Sunday morning
- Schedule team a month ahead
- Mentor Trinity youth who have interest in music and playing or singing in worship.
- Schedule youth in the worship band on a regular basis as skills allow
- Lead mid-week practice as needed.
- Prepare printed music for praise team, as needed
- Print out and copy the order of worship from Planning Center each week
- Plan and incorporate non-musical worship components (i.e. videos, skits, readings, etc.)
- Create and implement new worship opportunities
TECHNOLOGY & MEDIA SUPPORT
- Use Planning Center software to schedule worship components and ensure multi-media is prepared.
- Provide technology setup, support, and teardown for worship services and other events as requested
- Recruit, lead, and schedule Tech Team volunteers
- Coordinate setup of equipment on Sunday mornings
- Schedule team a month ahead
- Attend weekly staff meetings and other meetings as requested by Lead Pastor
- Stay current with trends and song availability in music ministry
- Maintain a current data base of worship songs and lyrics
- Organize and maintain all sound equipment, musical charts, for Praise Team
- Develop and administer annual budget for worship ministry in accordance with BUMC financial policies and procedures
- Schedule and secure payment for all contract musicians following BUMC financial policies and procedures
- Professing Christian in a growing relationship with Christ
- Sets an example and serves as role model while being committed to continual spiritual, personal, and educational growth
- Understand spiritual components of worship leadership with an appreciation of United Methodist polity
- Called to be a passionate leader with a love for God and a heart for people
- Knowledge of Planning Center worship-planning software helpful
- Ability to recruit, train, delegate, appreciate, and retain volunteers
- Patience working with students who might be less experienced musically
- Understanding basic finance and budgeting processes
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Adaptable and flexible in a changing work environment while approaching tasks and duties with a positive attitude
- Ability to handle sensitive information with the highest degree of integrity and confidentiality
- Enjoys a team environment and is service-oriented
Skills and Equipment Knowledge
- Able to setup, run, and maintain equipment used during worship services (i.e. mics, amplifiers, sound boards, stage lighting, video recording & editing)
- Proficient with Planning Center software
- Proficient with basic AV hardware (sound, mix, video)
- Competent in Microsoft Office software and other web-based technology with ability to learn computer programs quickly and use them proficiently
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in music-related field preferred
- Two (2) – five (5) years of experience in leading worship and praise bands preferred
- Understanding of Wesleyan theology and Methodism preferred
- Experience with playing multiple instruments with keyboard or guitar required
- Experience singing lead vocals and possess musical gifts and ability to develop, coordinate, oversee and staff all areas of the praise and contemporary worship ministry
- Experience in leading greetings, prayers, transitions and singing to help people praise and connect with God through worship
While this position does not have direct reports, it does coach and mentor musicians, vocalists, and other volunteers.
The employee will be in a church gathering spaces which may have loud noise levels at times. This position routinely uses various musical, production, electronic, and other AVL equipment as well as standard office equipment.
Position is a combination of sedentary and standing and is required to talk, hear, stand, walk, sit, stoop, bend, reach, squat, and crawl. Employee must occasionally life or move items up to 50 pounds.
Expected Hours of Work
Required Days and hours of work are Sunday, 7:15a – 12:15p with additional hours worked on Sunday evening or during the week as rehearsals, other services, and events require based on the church calendar. Position requires additional hours during certain projects and high Holy weeks. Evening and weekend work required.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the area and overnight travel may be expected.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $13.00 - $16.00 per hour
Company's Facebook page: