If you are passionate about the field of Education, enjoy on-going training, helping others grow, and have a sincere desire to cultivate our next generation of children, we have a position for you! Making a difference in a child’s life is the most rewarding experience one can have during their professional career. The YMCA of South Florida is looking for enthusiastic, energetic, passionate, team oriented and motivated Afterschool/Summer Camp Counselors to work with children throughout Broward County.
Under the direction of the Site Supervisor, the Special Needs Counselor I is responsible for the overall day-to-day group programming, behavior management, and direct supervision of a group of children in a licensed child care/day camp facility.
- Supervise and implement activities for a group of children with special needs in accordance to both age and developmentally appropriate practices as outlined by the licensing agency, State of Florida and the YMCA of South Florida's curriculum.
- Use measurable tools to track children’s progress.
- Distribute nutritious snacks on a daily basis using universal health/sanitation practices.
- Document behavior issues and/or incidents daily, as needed.
- Conduct a health check of each child daily, noting fever, bumps, bruises, burns, or other questionable signs of abuse and document the incident with the Site Supervisor.
- Maintain high level of professional courtesy with parents, facility personnel, staff and clients at all times.
- Know and follow proper emergency procedures appropriate to the facility and in conformity with procedures adopted by the YMCA of South Florida and emergency service authorities.
- Provide regular inspections of areas used by the program to ensure both cleanliness and safety.
- Check bathrooms for supplies and basic cleanliness before allowing participants to enter.
- Attend all staff meetings and training opportunities.
- Report all incidents and accidents within 24 hours to the corporate office.
- Adhere to the Child Abuse & Neglect Reporting requirements which mandate by law all child care personnel to report suspicions of child abuse, neglect, or abandonment.
- Ensure that the proper staff to child ratios are maintained at all times and reports discrepancies to the Site Supervisor as needed.
- A high school diploma or GED.
- Minimum Two years’ experience, including one year experience of direct contact with children with special needs.
- Ability to relate to children.
- Must be at least eighteen years-old at the time of hire.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively orally and in writing.
- Must have a demonstrated competency in the planning and implementation of recreational and educational activities.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Within one (1) year of employment, you must have completed the following DCF Trainings:
- The Thirty (30) Hour Training Requirement consisting of (a) Child Growth and Development, (b) Health, Safety and Nutrition, (c) Child Care Facility State and Local Rules and Regulations, (d) Identifying and Reporting Child Abuse and Neglect, and (e) Behavior Observation and Screening.
- The Ten (10) Hour Developmentally Appropriate Module (Preferred- School Age Appropriate Practices). * Current CPR and First Aid certificates by time of employment.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to submit to and satisfactorily clear a thorough Level II fingerprinting background screening.
The YMCA of South Florida is a Drug Free Workplace and is committed to the policy of Equal Opportunity prohibiting discrimination in employment because of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, political affiliation, age or disability.
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $12.85 per hour
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- relevant: 1 year (Preferred)
- Childcare: 1 year (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Typical start time:
Typical end time:
This Job Is Ideal for Someone Who Is:
- Dependable -- more reliable than spontaneous
- People-oriented -- enjoys interacting with people and working on group projects
- Adaptable/flexible -- enjoys doing work that requires frequent shifts in direction
- Temporarily due to COVID-19