UPDATED AS OF:
GENERAL SUMMARY: Under general supervision, perform repair and maintenance of company owned tractors and trailers. This position is responsible for some metal fabrication and repairs as needed (welding, cutting, torching). Position is responsible to maintain fleet of vehicles and to ensure they meet DOT requirements. Responsible to perform DOT annual inspections, PM’s, engine work, tire replacements, brake replacements and other duties as assigned.
Principle Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct DOT annual inspections to ensure fleet is in compliance with regulations and equipment is safe.
- Perform PM’s on trucks and trailers
- Corrects vehicle deficiencies by removing, repairing, adjusting, overhauling, assembling, disassembling, and replacing major components, parts, or systems, verifies vehicle performance by conducting test drives; adjusting controls and systems.
- Designs, welds, and fabricates steel, aluminum and stainless steel fabricated projects using MIG, TIG, Stick and Gas.
- Maintains vehicle records by annotating services and repairs.
- Keeps shop equipment operating by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Contains costs by using warranty; evaluating service and parts options.
- Interacts with all employees to exchange information, answer questions and resolve problems.
- Follows policies and procedures as defined by the company.
- Maintains reliable and dependable work attendance.
- Not exclusive list of duties; responsible for all duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Qualifications Required:
- Must be able to perform physical activities such as, but not limited to, lifting equipment (up to 50 lbs. unassisted), bending, standing, climbing or walking.
- Must be able to safely use manual tools, welding and power equipment.
- Ability to communicate accurately and professionally with others
- Works as a team member with others
- Attention to detail
Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Knowledge of the truck hauling industry preferred
- Previous experience with tool inventory controls
- Minimum of two years’ experience with diesel mechanic work
- As appropriate and fiscally reasonable.
- Physical Requirements:
- Able to hear and speak in ordinary conversations and phone communications
- Able to stand, bend, climb, walk 90% of the work day
- Environmental Conditions:
- Shop setting – no air-condition during warm months or strong heat during colder months
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $15.00 to $25.00 /hour
- relevant: 1 year (Preferred)
- diesel mechanic: 1 year (Preferred)
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Motor Vehicle Inspection License (Preferred)
- CDL Class A (Preferred)
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Diesel engines
- Mechanic experience