- Microsoft SQL Server
– Bachelor's’ degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering, or related technical field.
– Four (4) or more years of hands-on experience working with databases (any database, but Microsoft SQL Server or Oracle are a plus) and reporting/dashboard tools (any reporting/dashboard tool, but Crystal Reports, Tableau, SAP Business Object/WebI, TRIRIGA Report Manager, or Eclipse BIRT are a plus).
– Understand databases, tables, columns, and referential integrity.
– Understand object oriented databases.
– Ability to estimate report development tasks accurately and meet agreed-upon deadlines.
– Ability to take ownership of tasks and be accountable to the team for progress.
– Ability to communicate clearly and effectively (in written and oral forms).
– Well versed in Microsoft Office products (e.g., Excel, Word, Access) and Google suite (e.g.,Docs, Sheets).
– Good communication skills (verbal and written).
– Familiarity of source code control, code promotion, and QA/QC processes.
– Possess a keen sense of technical curiosity to understand how things work and why.
About the Job
Summary of Position
This Report Developer role is a full-time approximately 2-year temporary Enterprise Asset Management (EAM) project funded position that is responsible for developing reports from multiple applications (SAP Business Objects, Oracle Business Intelligence, IBM Tririga), that includes programming, analysis, quality control, and maintenance of reports and their associated applications, programs, and/or systems depending on specific assignment. Typical responsibilities may involve developing reports from specifications, enhancing/customizing existing reports through SQL code and developing additional functionality, developing new reports for various mediums (enterprise, operating, web, application, etc.), and developing data integration plans for public and private data sources.
This position is a third‐level professional Report Developer responsible for complex systems, reports, and business process analysis, design, implementation, and testing for a broad range of Business Intelligence (BI) systems. Incumbent at this level is an experienced professional, competent to work at the highest technical level of most phases of the BI lifecycle. Considers the current and future business environment in the development and application of technology and reporting solutions. Normally works under general guidance only, without technical supervision.
This position leads the process of analyzing and streamlining complex client reporting processes to best align technology solutions with business strategies. Represents user areas in the more complex BI systems enhancement and design activities. Ensures documentation of business requirements and creates detailed functional/technical specifications leading to creation of reports to meet deliverables. Works with clients and technical group to solve complex report needs, considering technology capacity and desired business results. Leads the development of data reporting and business intelligence solutions. Typically functions as team and project lead and provides procedural and technical guidance to less experienced staff.
University Services Specifics:
Under limited supervision, this position will perform report analysis and development tasks for a wide range of systems and projects across University Services business units.
This position reports to the Director of IT within the University Services Information Technology team, and supports business initiatives, projects, and day-to-day operational needs that arise. This position will work with DBA’s, Systems Engineers, Systems Analysts, Project Managers, Systems Support, and Business Analysts within the various UServices business units served as well as the Office of Information Technology. The position requires contact with business staff, IT staff, and unit management.
– Design and develop reports/dashboards against existing data models (transactional and dimensional).
– Write SQL queries to analyze data and to populate reports/dashboards.
– Present analysis and findings (in verbal and written forms).
– Document processes and procedures used to develop and deploy reports/dashboards.
– Attend meetings with customers to gain a better understanding of the business to help define KPIs and supporting output (reports/dashboards).
– Assist with requirements definition and create design options/alternatives/recommendations for reports/dashboards.
– Work with DBS/Database Developer and Data Architect to understand and maximize data integration, retrieval, and display (visualizations).
– Provide input on overall system design and implementation to increase usability and quality.
– Support the team with peer reviews, peer testing, documentation, and actively participate in a collaborative team environment.
Work is performed in an office setting.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will be given the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume.
Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your "My Activities" page and uploading documents there.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail email@example.com or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Background Check Information
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.
About the U of M
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC)
The University of Minnesota, Twin Cities (UMTC), is among the largest public research universities in the country, offering undergraduate, graduate, and professional students a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Located at the heart of one of the nation's most vibrant, diverse metropolitan communities, students on the campuses in Minneapolis and St. Paul benefit from extensive partnerships with world-renowned health centers, international corporations, government agencies, and arts, nonprofit, and public service organizations.