Job Summary and Mission
This position contributes to Starbucks success by delivering and supporting technology solutions for Business Systems Development initiatives. As an application developer II, you will collaboratively identify, design, develop and deploy technology and process solutions establishing business capabilities and platform features, enabling the realization of strategic initiatives and operational improvements. This role requires technical expertise, domain proficiency, platform understanding, and an eagerness to develop into a technical professional. Typical activities include requirements analysis, solution design, technical development, and process improvement coupled with the ability to work effectively across various IT and business functions.
Models and acts in accordance with Starbucks guiding principles.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following:
Technical Design and Implementation
- Participates in planning, decomposing, estimating, scheduling, prioritization and resource allocation exercises.
- Assists in prototypes for complex problems as appropriate, earning to build incrementally, with an eye toward visionof the final product. Provides transparency in approach and progress, throughout the process.
- Engages in the solution design process. Participates in requirements gathering and backlog refinement, assists withsystems approach, helps with project initiation, contributes to functional design, and delivers technical design anddevelopment.
- Develops software solutions to business problems. Leverages established design patterns and coding standards.Builds solutions that are secure, durable, scalable, flexible, and accessible and proactively mitigate againstproduction support issues.
- Automates test coverage per platform capabilities and requirements. Assists with manual system and integrationtesting efforts.
- Contributes to the deployment approach, including planning and execution, data conversion approach, scriptdevelopment and execution, warranty period and transition of the solution to the platform's operational context.
- Learns to operate effectively in both waterfall and Agile Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) processes andmethodologies.
- Participates in the Platform Stewardship portfolio. Contributes to the vision, roadmap, and platform investmentsneeded to take our business solutions to the next level. Helps to identify, influence, sell and prioritize innovativeplatform opportunities, as well as technical debt.
- Partners with cross functional teams, such as Infrastructure, Security, Architecture, QA and key Development teams,to strengthen and elevate the platform from a technology perspective. Successfully contributes to designs andsolutions through enterprise processes and governance to ensure compliant, secure and supportable solutions.
- Contributes to the platform development community by providing input, content and feedback on design patterns,coding standards, and shared libraries.
- Initiates and facilitates team meetings to socialize technical ideas, encourages a culture of technical excellenceamong peers, and identifies good opportunities for adopting innovation.
Business Capability Portfolio
- Consults in the IT planning process by providing application and platform expertise for new business capabilitiesunder consideration.
application developer II
Production Support for application and platform components
- Fulfills responsibilities for on call support, including potential coverage of pager rotation.
- Collaboratively and effectively diagnoses, troubleshoots and remediates incidents and problems to support the enduser community. Participates in root cause analysis efforts to identify and implement solutions to operational issues.
- Maintains and reports operational Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) on items such as performance, serviceincidents and tickets set forth by the organization leadership.
- Creates and maintains documentation supporting training, system administration, deployment, and operationalprocesses and procedures.
- 1-4 years of professional industry experience with software development
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Ability to analyze, diagnose and propose solutions to user problems.
- Knowledge of data structures, algorithms and computer science concepts relative to the platform.
- Proficient in development languages, tools, frameworks, utilities and technical dependencies.
- Ability to incorporate best practices and established design and implementation choices toward building secure,scalable, durable, flexible, accessible solutions.
- Ability to write and value high quality, reusable software with minimal defects.
- Ability to learn and incorporate new technologies, concepts and development languages.
- Understanding of relevant data transport mechanisms and integrations including synchronous, asynchronous, bulkdata, tightly and loosely coupled methods.
- Ability to learn new concepts and technical implementation of application architecture, infrastructure and security.
- Basic understanding of relevant platform and applications, including established API’s, system activity components,process flows, the underlying data model, implementation specifics of important business rules, batch jobs, userinterface components, and application configuration.
- Ability to design and develop relevant enhancements on top of industry COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf)applications that differentiate and/or provide competitive advantage.
- Familiarity with business context and trends, as well as the business customers’ opportunities. Awareness of thefunctional aspects of the solution.
- Ability to work with process owners to identify information technology solutions that enable business processimprovements
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to negotiate priorities, approach, designs and ideas with team members and customers
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and meet deadlines
- Ability to use business knowledge, sound judgment, and resourcefulness to proactively move efforts forward
Starbucks and its brands are an equal opportunity employer of all qualified individuals.
We are committed to creating a diverse and welcoming workplace that includes partners with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We believe that enables us to better meet our mission and values while serving customers throughout our global communities. People of color, women, LGBTQIA+, veterans and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with all federal state and local ordinances. Starbucks Corporation is committed to offering reasonable accommodations to job applicants with disabilities. If you need assistance or an accommodation due to a disability, please contact us at 206-318-0660 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org