Reporting to the senior manager of marketing, the social media manager is responsible for the content, administration and analysis of all social networks for the Newseum and the Freedom Forum Institute. The position requires creativity, strong photo and video skills, and a solid background in social media strategy. The role requires a flexible schedule and the ability to work approximately 2-3 evenings or weekends per month. The position is responsible for detailed execution of numerous projects in a fast-paced environment that support various elements of the Newseum and Freedom Forum Institute businesses including exhibits, special events, thought-leadership, fundraising, education and the museum itself.
- Create and manage the content for 5+ social media networks including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and Flickr.
- Create and manage a social media editorial calendar that highlights day-to-day social media activity, identifies exciting and engaging content to post, and ensures the museum maintains a robust schedule of social media activity 365 days a year.
- Respond in a timely manner to customer service issues, reviews and questions on social media.
- Work with departments across the organization to ensure all initiatives are being communicated effectively and efficiently.
- Work closely with the senior online producer and marketing team to monitor and grow web site traffic, keep the online calendar current, and generate content for the news section of the website.
- Develop monthly, quarterly and yearly reports that detail the growth of the Newseum and Freedom Forum Institute social media efforts.
- Contribute to the development and administration of the annual marketing plan, budget, advertising and special-event campaigns.
- Participate in, and contribute to, various strategy and creative sessions.
- Research new promotional opportunities and maintain a catalogue of prospective media and marketing partnerships.
- Support initiatives led by the Director of Group Sales and the Director of Public Relations as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least two years of professional social media experience, preferably in the attractions, tourism, travel or non-profit fields.
- Familiarity with AP style and exceptional writing/editing skills.
- Understanding of basic photo and video concepts.
- Familiarity with digital communications software including Sprout Social, Luminate and/or Dreamweaver preferred.
- Excellent project-management and organizational skills, with very strong attention to detail.
- An interest in current events/world news.
- Ability and willingness to take the initiative to tackle new assignments and meet tight deadlines with fast turnaround times.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office programs, including Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Experience with Adobe Creative Suite a plus.
Please send your cover letter, resume, and two references to:
August 24, 2018
The Newseum and Freedom Forum Institute are Equal Opportunity Employers.
About the Newseum and the Freedom Forum Institute
The mission of the Newseum, located in Washington, D.C., is to increase public understanding of the importance of a free press and the First Amendment. Visitors experience the story of news, the role of a free press in major events in history, and how the core freedoms of the First Amendment — religion, speech, press, assembly and petition — apply to their lives. Considered one of the most interactive museums in the world, the Newseum has seven levels with 15 galleries and 15 theaters. The Newseum also reaches millions of students through its robust offering of on-site classes and workshops. The Newseum is a 501(c)(3) public charity funded by generous individuals, corporations and foundations, including its principal funder, the Freedom Forum. For more information, visit newseum.org and follow us on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
The Freedom Forum Institute is the education and outreach partner of the Freedom Forum and the Newseum. The Institute includes the First Amendment Center, NewseumED and the Religious Freedom Center. The Freedom Forum Institute’s affiliate organizations include the Al Neuharth Media Center at the University of South Dakota; the Overby Center for Southern Journalism and Politics at the University of Mississippi; and the John Seigenthaler Center at Vanderbilt University. The Freedom Forum Institute is a 501(c)(3) public charity funded by generous individuals, corporations and foundations, including its principal funder, the Freedom Forum.