Job Title: Assistant to Chair
Film (and Animation)
Executes all administrative follow-up, including forms, requests and records necessary for the running of the department at the direction of the Chair. Is responsible for maintaining and updating all faculty, staff and student information. Assists the Chair and D.O.O. in event planning, publicity and promotions.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinates all departmental communication with the Chair, including emails, announcements, bulletins, special events, programs, press kits, and publicity material.
- Communicates with students and faculty on departmental matters, per approval by Chair.
- Digitizes all department forms and documents for permanent record keeping and shared access.
- Processes guest lecture forms, substitute instructor forms, check requests, invoices, field trip forms, travel and expense reports, and request for access.
- Processes all new hire paperwork for student workers, staff, and faculty.
- Generates all CIS forms for instructor switches, class time changes, cancellations, new classes and updates all necessary parties.
- Prepares payroll for all Film and Animation full time staff, part time staff, student workers, presents to Chair for approval, and proceses digitally.
- Maintains faculty, staff, alumni, guest lecturer, substitutes, master class lists, and student directories.
- Maintains calendars for interdepartmental deadlines and submissions, including staff PTO calendar, end of year reports, and staff appraisals.
- Assists students with acquiring location insurance and film permits.
- Oversees ordering of office supplies, including SVA stationery.
- Maintains the professional decorum of the office.
- Prepares documentation for Human Recourses, for approval by Chair, eg. resignations, salary/title changes, and yearly evaluations.
- Collects all class syllabi each semester.
- Helps students prepare funding requests for grants and scholarships.
- Provides assistance (general problem solving, trouble shooting) to students, faculty, and staff.
- Assists Director of Operations as needed.
- Manages a staff of part time student office assistants
- Bachelor’s degree plus 2-5 years’ adminstrative and management experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication.
- Able to deal professionally and kindly with different kinds of people.
- Organized and able to anticipate need for improvements in procedures, equipment, storage etc.
- Ability to multi-task while still attending to detail.
- Advanced computer proficiency, to include experience with Filemaker Pro, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Excel, and Photoshop.
- Experience working in an educational institution preferred.
School of Visual Arts (SVA) in New York City is an established leader and innovator in the education of artists. From its inception in 1947, the faculty has been comprised of professionals working in the arts and art-related fields. SVA provides an environment that nurtures creativity, inventiveness and experimentation, enabling students to develop a strong sense of identity and a clear direction of purpose.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter and resume to [email protected]
No walk-ins or phone calls please.
The School of Visual Arts is an equal opportunity employer.