To perform legal services under the direction of General Counsel on behalf of El Camino Hospital and its affiliates. Serve as primary legal business partner to assigned divisions and/or affiliates. Legal services include review and drafting of physician services agreements and IT agreements, including business associate agreements, software licensing, SAS agreements and advising management on issues such as HIPAA/HITECH, data privacy and security, Stark and Anti-kickback compliance. Manage contract process and systems for El Camino Hospital and its affiliates.
1. Participate in operational committees to help ensure that policies, procedures, programs, and contracts of El Camino Hospital and its affiliates comply with applicable laws and regulations. May include committees charged with policy management and administration, employee and patient privacy, IT governance, IT security, compliance, clinical research and/or risk management.
2. Manage contract process and systems – Develop, implement, and maintain, systems, tools, and policies/procedures to operate and maintain an efficient, effective and legally compliant contracting system. Oversee staff that reviews, drafts, and coordinates appropriate approval of contracts.
3. Perform legal services for, represent and support hospital operations in matters related to IT business transactions); legal/regulatory and compliance; licensure, certification and accreditation; health care privacy/security; clinical research; and intellectual property.
4. Act as a legal counselor/advisor and business partner for leadership of Hospital and its affiliates to support achievement of operational, business, and strategic goals and initiatives and opportunities.
5. Perform legal research, analyze legal and business problems, and recommend solutions.
6. Participate in projects or matters that support the management and administration of Legal Services.
7. Work closely with management staff in the following functions: Corporate Compliance, Regulatory and Accreditation, Clinical Effectiveness, Physician Services, Business Development, IT, Medical Staff Office, Finance, Human Resources, Clinical Research, and Materials Management.
1. A Juris Doctorate (or equivalent) from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association
2. Four years' experience as an in-house corporate attorney or at a law firm practicing corporate law. Experience in health care industry or non-profit 501(c3) preferred
3. Demonstrated experience interpreting, drafting, reviewing, and advising on business contract terms and conditions for IT contracts. Experience with physician and medical group agreements and/or clinical research agreements preferred. Experience managing an organization's contract services a plus
4. Demonstrated working knowledge and work experience in legal areas affecting corporate operations (including applicable federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations) in: data privacy and protected information; IT security issues, policies, and contracts; risk mitigation; legal compliance; interpreting policies and procedures; purchased services agreements; and business contracts
5. Experience in hospital or health care operations preferred with experience in areas of: fraud and abuse; Stark law; hospital licensure and accreditation; clinical research; medical records; HIPAA; and physician contracts
6. Experience leading or collaborating on process improvement efforts with cross-functional teams
7. Strong attention to detail, organizational skills, and a commitment to client service and excellence
8. Ability to prioritize tasks, think clearly under pressure, meet tight deadlines, and thrive with minimal supervision in a fast-paced environment
9. Strong demonstrated written and oral communication skills
Current active member of the California State Bar in good standing