This posting creates a pool of candidates for future positions that may become available.
Reports To (title only)
Current as of
Is this position exempt from overtime pay?
Provides leadership in the compliance of federally and state mandated Special Education procedures for students with disabilities. This includes organizing, chairing and regularly monitoring IEP team meetings, in servicing staff on compliance/legal issues involved in the IEP team process, assisting with case management and investigation of cases, as appropriate and coordinating the provision of extended school year services.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Does this position have supervisory responsibilities?
1. Organizes, chairs and collects data on the Department’s compliance of the IEP team process/timelines.
2. Assists the Special Education Department in the selection and administration of assessment tools to evaluate students’ functional abilities / present levels of performance.
3. Facilitates IEP team meetings, including the active engagement of all members
4. Supports the development of the “Big Picture” for student accommodations/modifications and distributes to staff as appropriate.
5. Supervises the maintenance of a school-based data base.
6. Coordinates the Division of Special Education/MSDE’s compliance review activities, when appropriate as part of a System Audit or School Instructional Review.
7. Addresses the need for ESY regularly at IEP team meetings and coordinates implementation with the Division’s ESY office.
8. Assists the Special Education Department Chairperson in the conveying of procedures, vision and priorities of the school community, Division of Special Education and AACPS.
9. Provides technical assistance, parental outreach on the IEP team process/county special education procedures.
10. Provides technical assistance and staff development on the Tienet program.
11. Supports the identification of mastery objectives/baselines for students eligible for Alt-MSA.
12. Collects pertinent documentation for students eligible for MOD-MSA.
13. Oversees the site licenses/application of technology-based, IEP accommodations (Kurzweil).
14. Performs other related duties as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made on request to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions .
- Master’s degree or Master’s equivalent.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Demonstration of leadership qualities.
- Knowledge of the special education process and curricula of the schools in Anne Arundel County desirable.
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in written form with professional colleagues, staff, students, parents and attorneys.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively work and communication with diverse populations.
- Demonstrated proficiency with business technology applications (Microsoft Office Suite preferred).
- Eligible for certification in special education or related field as defined by MSDE requirements.
Career Ladder Requirements
- As required by the duties and responsibilities of the job.