Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE:
GCI) is an innovative, digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to strengthening communities across our network. With an unmatched local-to-national reach, Gannett touches the lives of more than 110 million people monthly with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services. Gannett brands include USA TODAY NETWORK with the iconic USA TODAY and more than 100 local media brands, digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, SweetIQ, and United Kingdom media company Newsquest. To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
The Desert Sun/desertsun.com, the leading news organization in Southern California’s Coachella Valley and part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, seeks a full-time philanthropy editor to oversee our coverage of nonprofits, charities, fundraisers and charitable giving. More than 800 nonprofits are active in our community, and philanthropic activity is vital to supporting the wide array of cultural, educational, ecological, historical and medical amenities that sustain and enrich lives here. Charitable events also are a key driver of social activities, from gala dinners to celebrity golf tournaments.
The philanthropy editor will oversee our longstanding and well-read Desert Scene section, which is published on Sundays from October to May and focuses on major fundraising galas and other social events for charities across the Valley. The philanthropy editor may also oversee the development and launch of new print and online editorial products and events related to nonprofits and philanthropy. The philanthropy editor will work both with newsroom staff as well as our cadre of community correspondents who regularly contribute articles and photography.
- Planning editorial coverage for print and online.
- Recruiting and training community correspondents.
- Editing and writing stories and captions.
- Coordinating photography and videography.
- Representing The Desert Sun at major events.
- Managing compensation for community correspondents.
- Maintaining a calendar of events.
- Liaising with nonprofit staff.
- Event planning.
- Developing policies and procedures.
- Bachelor's or master’s degree in communications, journalism, marketing or related field preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 3+ years of demonstrated writing and editing experience in a newspaper or magazine environment.
- Familiarity with nonprofits, philanthropy and philanthropists in the Coachella Valley.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Deft interpersonal and communication skills.
- Strong command of spelling, grammar and AP style, and a knack for details including names and places.
- Understanding of journalistic ethics and commitment to upholding high ethical standards.
- Strong sense of news judgement.
- Knowledge of basic principles of print layout and design.
- Keen sense of editorial strategy.
- Ability to multitask.
- Familiarity with social media platforms including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
- Basic understanding of digital media principles, including search engine optimization.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, don’t limit your upload to a resume; show us what you’ve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume – one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Here's what we have to offer:
We offer a competitive base salary and career growth opportunities. We also offer you a comprehensive benefits package which includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, Paid Time Off, Company Paid Holidays, employee discount program and domestic partner benefits. Our 401(k) is topnotch and the contributions you make, up to the first 5% are eligible for a 100% Company match!
Gannett Co., is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.