GEORGIA Magazine, an award-winning publication based in Tucker, Ga., is seeking an editorial intern for the Spring 2020 semester. Founded in 1945, GEORGIA Magazine is published monthly for Georgia's member-owned electric co-ops, offering travel, personality profiles, cooking, gardening, energy efficiency and home improvement articles. The magazine is produced by Georgia Electric Membership Corp. (EMC), the statewide trade association for the 41 member-owned electric cooperatives across Georgia.
We are seeking a highly motivated, junior or senior journalism/media communications student eager to learn all facets of monthly magazine production.
Overall, interns help edit, write, pitch and fact-check articles for the monthly magazine and its web-exclusive pages, among other duties.
- Applicants must be enrolled in undergraduate or Graduate classes at an accredited college in Georgia.
- Must have good understanding of the English language for writing, proofing and editing.
- Must have strong interpersonal communication, customer service and telephone skills.
- Must be a creative thinker with good organizational skills, attention to detail and ability to manage multiple projects at once.
- Proficiency with computer word-processing programs (i.e. Microsoft Word) and AP Style is critical, presentation software, desktop publishing and Web publishing a plus.
- Approximate term of 3 to 4 months; approximately 15-20 hours per week.
- Office hours are M-F, 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., with a flexible schedule to work around class times. Work location is our headquarters office in Tucker, Ga.
- Special projects accepted if necessary for college credit. Must be in conjunction with university/college career center.
- Transportation necessary; mileage reimbursed if on official magazine business.
- This is a part-time paid internship. Grade 7 stipend, paid bi-monthly.
- Office attire is casual.
- GEORGIA Magazine's website is http://www.georgiamagazine.org. For more on Georgia EMC, or to learn about electric cooperatives in Georgia, visit http://www.georgiaemc.com.
About Georgia EMC
Georgia Electric Membership Corp. (EMC) is the statewide trade association that serves Georgia’s 41 electric membership corporations, Oglethorpe Power Corp., Georgia Transmission Corp. and Georgia System Operations Corp. Our association enables Georgia’s electric membership corporations to pool their resources to gain strength and efficiency on issues common to the EMCs. We are a not-for-profit 501 (C)(6), member-owned organization controlled by a board of directors elected from the member cooperatives and corporations. In short, our mission is to promote the EMCs of Georgia by providing member-focused leadership and a unified voice through advocacy, education and communication